- Taught programmes
- Short courses and CPD
- PhD Study
- Contact us
- Research studentships
- An infographic produced by UCLDH and 4Humanities has won an award
- David Ryan (UCL CDIP Archive Studies, 1987) has received an LVO for outstanding service in the New Year's Honours List. He works for the Royal Household as Director of Records.
- A blog by Molly Slight, one of our MA Publishing students, has been published on the Bookseller website.
INSTG068 - Publishing Skills
This module is designed to give students the practical skills they need to build a successful career in the publishing industry. The module content has been based around feedback from the publishing industry to ensure it reflects current requirements.
The module will include technical training in Nielsen Bookscan and the software packages InDesign and BookType. Students will learn about the importance of metadata and the challenges around content discoverability in the online world. In addition students will learn about copyediting, indexing and proofreading (including online editing), developmental text editing, presentation and writing skills. The module will also cover recruitment and interview skills.
- Week 1 Nielsen Bookscan Training
- Week 2 InDesign 1
- Week 3 Copyediting, proofreading, indexing
- Week 4 Indesign 2
- Week 5 Presentation skills
- Week 6 Text and development editing
- Week 7 Writing Skills
- Week 8 Metadata and discoverability
- Week 9 Recruitment, interview and management skills
Compulsory for: students on the MA in Publishing programme
Assessment: Portfolio of skills evidence, 3000 words or equivalent
Prerequisites: There are no formal prerequisites for this module.
Module leader: Nick Canty
Page last modified on 17 dec 13 14:55