My main research activities are in the area of Artificial Intelligence. In particular, I am working on the development of new logic-based models, methods and algorithms for knowledge representation and reasoning, focusing mainly on the fields of Semantic Web, non-monotonic reasoning, contextual reasoning, argumentation, persuasion and automated reasoning. I am also working on the application of such methods in distributed domains, including the Web, e-commerce and intelligent environments (Ambient Intelligence).
Argumentation, Debates and Persuasion on the Web
With colleagues from UCL, FORTH, TU-Vienna, INRIA and the University of Huddersfield, I am working on the development of a model, algorithms and tools for online debates. We have published preliminary results of this research in a technical report:
- Giorgos Flouris, Antonis Bikakis, Theodore Patkos: Globally Interconnecting Persuasive Arguments: The Vision of the Persuasive Web, Technical Report, FORTH TR-438, 2013. [PDF]
Defeasible Logic and the Semantic Web
My work on the relation between Defeasible Logic, Logic Programming and Semantic Web has resulted in the development of three different systems:
- DR-Prolog: a system for automated defeasible reasoning
- DR-NEGOTIATE: a system for automated agent negotiation
- DR-BROKERING: a system for automated brokering
All three systems aim at the automation of (reasoning, brokering, negotiation) processes carried out by software agents on behalf of human users on the Web. Depending on the application, the goals range from conducting intelligent searches in the Internet based on the user’s preferences (in the case of DR-Prolog) to maximizing the user’s profits in electronic auctions (DR-NEGOTIATE).
My current research activities focus on the development of distributed reasoning models for Ambient Intelligence (AmI) environments. AmI is a new paradigm of interaction among intelligent devices and smart objects acting on behalf of humans. The ultimate goal of AmI systems is to transform our living and working environments into “intelligent spaces” able to adapt to changes in context and to users’ social needs, and to provide a new level of support of assistance and support to our daily activities. Representative examples are:
- Ambient Assisted Living, which aims to address the needs of elderly people and help them maintain independent living
- Environmental Ambient Intelligence focusing on energy efficient and climate-adapting building designs
My research focuses mainly on the development of new models, methods and algorithms for contextual reasoning that will address the challenges imposed by the open and dynamic nature of these environments, and the imperfection of the relevant context information (e.g. uncertainty, ambiguity). One such model is Contextual Defeasible Logic, which extends the distributed model of Multi-Context Systems with non-monotonic features, such as defeasible bridge rules, defeasible local theories and preferences.
I am currently participating as an external advisor in the CoPAInS project, funded by FNR Luxembourg. The primary aim of the project is to study the tradeoff between privacy and conviviality in Ambient Intelligence systems.
- PC co-chair of RuleML 2014: 8th International Web Rule Symposium, co-located with the 21st biennial European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2014), August 17-19, 2014, Prague, Czech Republic
- Chair of AImWD 2013: 2nd International Workshop 'Artificial Intelligence meets the Web of Data', collocated with the 10th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2013), May 26, 2013, Montpellier, France
- PC co-chair of RuleML 2012: 8th International Web Rule Symposium, co-located with the 20th biennial European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2012), August 27-29, 2012, Montpellier, France
- Proceedings Chair of ESWC 2012: 9th Extended Semantic Web Conference, May 27-31, 2012, Heraklion, Greece
- Proceedings Chair of ESWC 2011: 8th Extended Semantic Web Conference, May 27 - June 2, 2011, Heraklion, Greece
Page last modified on 17 sep 14 13:16 by Antonios Bikakis