Academic Clinical Lecturer in Obstetric Epidemiology
Phone: +44 (0)20 7679 8285
Imelda Balchin is a Walport Academic Clinical Lecturer at UCL. She is also a Specialist Registrar in Obstetrics & Gynaecology at the London Deanery and an Honorary Research Fellow with CMACE (Centre for Maternal and Child Enquiries). She has a membership with the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (MRCOG), a member of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (MFSRH), an MSc in Modern Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases, Public Health and Biostatistics from Imperial College, and a Doctorate of Medicine (MD) in Obstetric Epidemiology from University of London.
Imelda is actively involved in teaching undergraduates and postgraduates in obstetrics and gynaecology and is pursuing a Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching for Higher Education.
Imelda’s main research interests are in the predictors and prevention of perinatal morbidity and mortality. This include the prevention of stillbirths in women with pre-existing diabetes, ethnic variation in stillbirths and perinatal outcome, healthcare inequalities in Obstetrics and improving perinatal outcomes in vulnerable groups.
- Balchin I, Steer PJ. Prolonged pregnancy. In: James DK, Steer PJ, Weiner CP, Gonik B eds. High Risk Pregnancy: Management options (4th edition). Elsevier 2009: In Press.
- Balchin I, Whittaker JC, Lamont RF, Steer PJ. Exclusion bias and its effects on the estimates of preterm birth. BJOG 2009: Published online 11th May.
- Balchin I, Johnston T. Medical complications in pregnancy. In: Bewley S, Saxena S, Sarris I, eds. Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Oxford University Press 2009.
- Balchin I, Whittaker JC, Lamont RF, Steer PJ. Timing of planned cesarean delivery by racial group. Obstet Gynecol 2008; 111(3):659-66.
- Balchin I, Whittaker JC, Patel RR, Steer PJ, Lamont RF. Racial variation in the relationship between gestational age and perinatal mortality. BMJ 2007;334:833-835.
- Balchin I, Steer P. Race, prematurity and immaturity. Early Human Development 2007;83:749-754. Selected proceedings from Neonatal Update 2007 ‘The Science of Newborn Care’. Edited by Professor Neena Modi.
- Balchin I, Whittaker JC, Lamont RF, Steer PJ. Should the timing of planned cesarean sections vary by racial group? A prospective study. ‘Abstracts’, Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2007;27(1):103.
- Balchin I. Racial difference in pregnancy. MIMS Womens’ Health 2007;2(4):30-31.
- Clark JTM, Dupuch L, Balchin I, Byrne DL, Frappell MJ. Variable cornual pressure resection. Does radical hysteroscopic surgery give a better result? Gynecological Surgery 2006;3(3):180-185.
This page last modified 8 November, 2009 by Gianluca Baio