Maintenance: top 10 tips to keep your bike in good shape
1. Check your tyres regularly
Replace them if they show signs of wear or damage.
2. Pump up your tyres until they are too hard to squeeze
This reduces punctures and makes cycling easier.
3. Check your brakes
They should stop the wheel fully when the lever is only part pulled.
4. Don't allow your brakes to skim the wheels
This will slow you down.
5. Oil the chain
For smoother gear transaction. If it squeaks, or is brown, it needs some oil.
6. Listen for noises
Squeaks, rattles and scraping suggests something needs attention .
7. Keep your bike under cover if possible
This will prolong its life and reduce maintenance.
8. Get the seat height right
Having it too low will make cycling hard work.
9. Make sure your gears change smoothly
You may need professional help to adjust them.
10. Check that wheels spin smoothly
Turn your bike upside down and spin the wheels. Any wobbles, or a less than perfect spinning circle, suggests expert advice is required.
Need help or advice maintaining your bike?
Page last modified on 14 apr 14 12:03