Current UK Foreign and Commonwealth travel updates


Jun 22, 2017 14:32PM

Latest update: Safety & security section (Crime) – in 2017, there have been incidents of lone women being sexually assaulted by men claiming to be motorbike taxi drivers in the Pub Street area of Siem Reap; you should be vigilant at all times, especially when walking alone; Entry requirements section (UK Emergency Travel Documents) – if you’re leaving the country using an ETD issued in Cambodia (and therefore containing no entry stamp), you must get an exit visa prior to departure



Jun 22, 2017 12:48PM

Latest update: Summary – local elections are taking place on 28 June 2017, including in regions that border India



Jun 22, 2017 12:07PM

Latest update: Safety and security section (Demonstrations) - planned demonstrations from 22 to 23 June 2017



Jun 21, 2017 13:16PM

Latest update: Summary – the International Expo 2017 takes place in Kazakhstan from June to September 2017; information and advice page for visitors



Jun 21, 2017 13:08PM

Latest update: Summary – there have been reports of an increase in holidaymakers being encouraged to submit a claim for personal injury if they have experienced gastric illness during their stay; you can find more information about the action you can take if you have suffered a personal injury on the Citizens Advice website; you should only consider pursuing a complaint or claim if you have genuinely suffered from injury or illness; if you make a false or fraudulent claim, you may face legal proceedings in the UK or Bulgaria


Students Travel and Safety

Long holidays, field trips, many new friends and opportunities to study abroad, make studying at UCL an ideal time to travel. To help you stay safe during your travels, here are some updates and important tips for your preparation.

We recommend that you check the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website before travelling. In case of any major issues occurring in the area you have travelled to, you should also check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website and follow any appropriate recommendations and advice. UCL monitors travel alerts on this website so we are aware of any major issues overseas. If you are abroad, in the case of any major incidents occurring UCL may contact you to ensure that you are safe.

UCL updates:

General travel and safety tips:

Be aware of travel alerts and warnings

Keep up to date with information and alerts issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and follow advice accordingly.

Stay in touch

Inform family and friends of any travel plans and any changes of your itinerary. Make sure your contact details (phone number and email address) are up to date on Portico in case UCL needs to contact you in the event of an emergency.

Learn about local laws and customs

While traveling, you are subject to the local laws. Foreign laws and legal systems can be very different from your own and it is important to research this before you travel. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have some useful guidance about local laws and customs in different countries.

Avoid carrying large amounts of cash

Take cash in small amounts only or use a credit/debit card or a pre-paid currency card. Make sure you check before you travel that your card will be accepted in the country you are visiting.

Take copies of your passport and travel documents

It is a good idea take copies of your passport, visa/BRP and another travel documents - this may be helpful if yours are lost or stolen.

Avoid civil disturbances or demonstrations of any kind

Civil disturbances and demonstrations can turn violent without warning, so avoid them where possible.

Take enough medication

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, make sure you take enough medication for the duration of your visit and any unexpected delays. It may not be possible to obtain the same medication abroad.

Looking after your belongings

  • Keep your bag closed and where you can see it by wearing it in front of you, not over your shoulder or on your back. This is especially important if you are in a crowded area.
  • When in restaurants, bars, theatres or cinemas never leave your bag on the floor or on the back of your chair.
  • Don’t carry valuable items in your back pocket
  • Be discreet with your belongings; displaying expensive electronic devices, like mobile phones, tablets or cameras, could attract unwanted attention
  • Be aware of your surroundings, and remember that wearing headphones or using your phone will reduce your awareness
  • Take particular care when using cash points – be aware of anyone watching you and make sure you cover your PIN.

Make sure you have the right visa

Make sure you have the correct visa for the country you are visiting and that your passport is valid. For certain countries your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you travel, so make sure you check the entry requirements before you go.

Should I get travel insurance when I go abroad?

We would strongly advise that you take out travel insurance when you go abroad to make sure you are covered in the event of an incident.

We don't endorse or recommend a specific insurance company, however the National Union of Students (NUS) and the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) recommend Endsleigh Insurance.

What should I do in the event of a major incident while I am travelling outside of the UK?

Prior to leaving the UK, find out what the emergency services number is for the country you are visiting so you can access it quickly if required. If you are within the EU, you can call 112 to contact the emergency services in any EU country.

Civil unrest
Civil unrest (usually events such as illegal parades, sit-ins and other forms of obstructions, riots or sabotage) usually erupts in areas where there are socio-political pressures on the population. In the case of civil instability in the area you are visiting or nearby, make sure to avoid demonstrations and known areas of conflict. Contact your national embassy as soon as possible for advice. If it is unsafe for you to stay in the country, the embassy will arrange for your evacuation.

If a terrorist attack occurs in the area you are visiting, you should contact your national embassy immediately for assistance. If it is unsafe for you to stay in the country, the embassy will arrange for your evacuation.

Natural disaster
If a natural disaster occurs in the area you are visiting, you should take care to follow all guidance issued by the government of the country you are visiting and keep yourself safe. If possible, you should contact your national embassy for advice as soon as you can - if it is not deemed safe for you to stay in the country, they will arrange for your evacuation.

Who should I contact in the event of a major incident occurring while I am abroad?

You should also try to contact your family and friends as soon as you can to let them know how you are.  If you are an affiliate student at UCL, please contact your home institution as well.

If you are a UCL student on one of the student mobility programmes abroad, please follow the advice provided by your home institution as well.

How can I locate my national embassy?

It is recommended that you locate your nearest national embassy or consulate when you arrive in a new country. This information is available on the embassy.goabroad.com website. The British Consulate can only assist British Nationals overseas - they cannot provide this support to other countries’ nationals, even if they may living and studying in the UK.

What should I do if I lose my passport when travelling outside of the UK?

If your passport and/or Biometric Residence Permit is lost or stolen while you are travelling outside of the UK, you will need to follow the steps outlined on our Immigration and Visas page.