Registry & Academic Services
|Maps and Transport links|
Invoices and Payments Procedure
UCL charges a tuition fee which covers registration, tuition and supervision for each academic year or part of an academic year that a student is enrolled. When a student accepts a place to study at UCL they assume responsibility for the payment of their tuition fees. A student must therefore have sufficient financial resources available in this country to meet the fees, maintenance and other expenses that may be incurred throughout their programme of study. A student may have part or all of these fees paid by the Student Loans Company (SLC) or other sponsoring body.
The fee levels can be found on the 2012/13 Fee Schedule (fees for subsequent years are subject to increase).
For fee enquiries or further information please contact the Student Fees Office.
An automated official UCL receipt will be sent by e-mail once a student (or family member etc) has made a payment towards their fees. The e-mail will be sent to the student's UCL e-mail account and, in the case of an on-line payment, be copied to the e-mail address entered during the payment process.
Please note that each receipt should be issued within 2 working days from the fee payment date.
Additional/copy receipts and invoices can be printed from a student's Financial Statement page within Portico.
Your tuition fee will normally be quoted on your offer letter, unless you are a Modular student where fees are calculated once modules have been selected. All information relating to the cost of your programme can be found on the fee schedule or your Portico account.
Students Enrolling in the Autumn Term
- You can pay your tuition fee in two equal instalments and no more than two are permitted. You must pay at least 50% of your tuition fee before or at enrolment to become fully enrolled, or provide a letter of sponsorship indicating who should be invoiced for your fees. If at least 50% of the amount due is not paid at this point, the student will receive Time Limited Enrolment. The second instalment is due by 1 February (within the same academic year). It is not necessary to complete an application form or pay a fee in order to pay by instalments; paying 50% of fees due at enrolment will amend our system.
Students Enrolling On or After 1 January
- You must pay your tuition fee in full in order to enrol. No instalments are permitted.
Please note - tuition fees are a student's responsibility. If a student is not paying the fees, it is still their responsibility to inform the Student Fees Office of their sponsor's details. If tuition fee payments are not made on time, a student's registration with UCL will be in jeopardy.
Any student responsible for the payment of their fees can make payment in any of the following ways:
- On-line: Students can log on to the Portico website using their UCL log-in and pay securely on-line using credit and debit cards (American Express, Diners Club and JCB are NOT accepted). New students without a UCL log-in can use the alternative on-line payment facility.
- In person: At Room G19, South Wing
- Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7679 4125 or +44 (0) 20 7679 4128
- Forms for bank transfers can be found here (Word doc).
Our bank details are as follows:
Barclays Bank Plc
6/17 Tottenham Court Road
London W1T 1AZ
Account Number: 70197157
Sort Code: 20 - 10 - 53
Swift: BARC GB 22
- When instructing their bank, it is essential that the student insists that the invoice number (which is the same as their student number) along with their surname and initials are quoted to assist us in identifying the payment and allocating it to the correct account.
Cheque / Bank Draft / Money Order
- In Pounds Sterling (GBP £) only, made payable to University College London.
- Post or take in person to: Student Fees Office, Room G19, South Wing, UCL, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT.
- For security reasons we cannot accept cash in the Student Fees Office.
- Cash can be paid directly to Barclays Bank only if accompanied by an invoice but it is strongly recommended that other methods of payment be used. All payments must include your name and student number.
Any student expecting all or part of their fees to be paid by a sponsor/supporting body must send a copy of award/assessment letter to Student Fees Office (Room G19, South Wing, UCL, Gower St, London, WC1E 6BT) or complete and have their sponsor sign a Financial Undertaking Form (Word format). On receipt of proof of sponsorship, an invoice will be issued to your sponsor. They are expected to pay within 28 days of invoice date. Sponsors are not permitted to pay fees in instalments. Any student who has not provided proof of full sponsorship or who has not applied to the SLC for funding will be expected to pay at least 50% of their fee prior to or at enrolment.
Students who do not pay their fees or provide proof of sponsorship at enrolment will be given 'Time Limited Enrolment'. This gives you full enrolment until 31 October, but failure to pay at least 50% of the fee due or provide proof of sponsorship during this period will result in enrolment being suspended. You will be warned, via your UCL email account, 14 days before the end of your Time Limited Enrolment that you must pay or face suspension. Your department will also be made aware of your situation. Reinstatement of registration will only take place once fees or proof of sponsorship have been received and a reinstatement fee of £150 has been paid. There is a limited time in which reinstatement will be permitted.
New overseas self-financing undergraduate students are offered the facility of paying for their whole programme of study in advance at the start of their first year, with the fee level fixed at the rate of their first year of study. Applications to pay in this way should be made, in writing, to UCL's Fees and Credit Control Manager prior to the start of the programme of study and payment must be made in full before, or at, enrolment.
Page Editor : Student Fees Office
Page last modified on 17 may 13 16:06 by Helen Plant