CPS News Publications
- Dr Lewis Dartnell Review Paper: Ionizing Radiation and Life
- My Tourist Guide to the Solar System by Dr Lewis Dartnell
- JGR paper for Dr Gerald Roberts: Possible evidence of palaeomarsquakes...
- Titan's Internal Structure - Dr Dominic Fortes
- Selection of JUICE mission to Jupiter and Ganymede by ESA
- 5yr UKSA Fellowship for Dr Pete Grindrod
- Mars rover: Nasa's Curiosity makes first test drive
- The search for life within our Solar System and beyond...
- The Sky at Night: Curiosity at Mars
- CPS Research Fellows give invited lectures at the University of St Andrews
- The latest science highlights from EPSC 2012, Madrid, 23-28 Sep
- "Dry" Gale Crater set for summer heat wave?
- Planet Earth Online features CPS astrobiology work in Iceland, led by Dr Claire Cousins
- Prof. Ian Crawford receives STFC award to identify source localities of lunar meteorites
- "Scientific Preparations for Lunar Exploration" - Special Issue of Planetary and Space Science
- ESA selects instruments to be flown on its icy moons mission
- Planetary Geology: An Introduction
- The Planets have arrived in London! EPSC 2013 at UCL, 8-13 September
- Congratulations to Dr Pete Grindrod and Dr Dominic Fortes on their recent Lectureship appointments
- EPSC2013 features on UCL web front page!
- Iron in the Earth’s core weakens before melting
- APEX meetings starting this week 17 Oct
- Insights from landslides on Mars
- Saturn moon Hyperion charging is a Cassini Top 10 discovery of 2014!
- Twinkle: A UK-led, fast-track space mission to study exoplanet atmospheres
- Venus is slowly losing its atmosphere
- Prof. Crawford Leverhulme award
- Pluto and Charon - A Planetary Waltz, in celebration of NASA's New Horizon Mission
- Prof. Andrew Coates: There is still lots more solar system exploration to do...
- Dr. Geraint Jones: Pluto’s moons in sharper focus
- ARIEL mission to reveal 'Brave New Worlds' among exoplanets
- Europlanet 2020 Research Infrastructure launches new era of planetary collaboration in Europe
- Professor Hilary Downes elected to the Presidency of the Mineralogical Society
CPS Research Fellows give invited lectures at the University of St Andrews
24 September 2012
The annual Irvine Review Lectures, given in the Chemistry Department of the
University of St. Andrews, were presented on Wednesday September 19th by Dr
Giovanna Tinetti (UCL Physics and Astronomy), Dr Dominic Fortes (UCL Earth
Sciences) and Professor Nigel Mason OBE (Open University, Physics and
The theme for the 2012 lectures was 'Chemistry in Space'; all three talks focused on organic chemistry and the search for habitable environments, biosignatures, or life itself, elsewhere in the cosmos. Dr Tinetti spoke on the composition of exoplanets, and Dr Fortes on the role of methane in the geology and astrobiology of Titan.
The Irvine Review Lectures are given in honour of Professor James C. Irvine KBE, an organic chemist who was instrumental in developing the world-leading research profile of the Chemistry department at St. Andrews, and who served as the University's principal and vice chancellor from 1921 until his death in 1952.
The speakers thank Dr Richard Baker for organising the event, and Dr Alan Aitken for hosting on the day.
Page last modified on 25 sep 12 16:08 by Joanna N Fabbri