UCLC Case Studies
- Taking new steps with the London Implant Retrieval Centre
- UCL help to evaluate London's first PassivHaus
- UCL industry partnership advances telecommunications
- UCL Consultants enable the creation of new top-level web domains
- Crime science masterclasses enhance community safety
- A new framework to maximise children's life chances in the UK
- The Vodafone Booster Brolly: a cure for the summertime blues
- Shaping the train and Underground experience of the future
- Changing perceptions of climate change in Latin America
- Understanding gender-based violence in Nepal: a qualitative tracking study
- Expert Witness - Professor David Balding
- Helping to identify patients with ALK-positive lung cancers - Novartis/UK NEQAS case study
- Post-licensing use of antiretroviral drugs in HIV-positive people
- Performance under stress
- Mapping the People of Scotland
- UCL launches neuromarketing course: educating the marketing industry on how to avoid bad science
- Research into rare disorder wins Senior UCL Lecturer prestigious award
- Helping the maritime industry in its low carbon transition
- Creating the UK's largest data display for the London Transport Museum
- A new university, a new collaboration in medical education
- Cities Changing Diabetes – how UCL is helping combat urban diabetes
UCL Consultants Ltd
The Network Building
97 Tottenham Court Road
London W1T 4TP
Tel: +44 (0)207 679 9796
Published: Nov 18, 2016 3:05:41 PM
Published: Nov 8, 2016 4:05:42 PM
Published: Aug 1, 2016 3:10:07 PM
Published: Jun 28, 2016 10:10:10 AM
UCL Consultants enable the creation of new top-level web domains
13 November 2013
UCL Consultants brokered partnership between UCL and Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to open up new ways of using the Internet.
With the internet continuing to grow at breathtaking speed, the world-wide demand for new ways of using this incredible resource shows no sign of abating. Which is why UCL Consultants worked with ICANN to provide the expertise to enable the creation of new top level domain names using Latin and non-Latin scripts.
UCL Consultants excels at bringing together our experts with those who are seeking to access the fund of excellence that is the academic body at UCL and the partnership with ICANN – the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which coordinates the Internet’s addressing system – is a perfect example of this remit in action.
This recent initiative will open up an entirely new way of using the Internet around the world.
New addresses in ancient languages
UCL worked with ICANN to evaluate applications for new generic top level domain addresses. As part of the new generic top level domain program there will be new addresses in non-Latin scripts such as Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese and Russian.
The contract was won against stiff competition from a number of high-profile organisations, including professional services firms.
ICANN selected UCL Consultants as they were using Dr Chris Dillon’s (UCL and ICANN Project Leader and Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, UCL Arts & Humanities) rare combination of non-Latin script linguistic and computer skills.
UCL Consultants fit and involvement was further boosted because of its ability to provide specialist expertise, to offer access to a range of departments and its experience in putting together well-organised mechanisms for inter-disciplinary work.
From inception at bid stage, through to sourcing of key personnel, project management and completion, the UCL Consultants' team handled every aspect of the proposal and project win.
Professor Stephen Caddick, UCL Vice-Provost for Enterprise said: “This is a game-changing project and UCL’s involvement is confirmation of our position as one of the leading global institutions in both languages and digital technology.”
Find out more
If you want to know more about this project, or want to discuss a new project, we'd love to hear from you. Please contact us on:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)207 679 9796