UCLC Case Studies
- Taking new steps with the London Implant Retrieval Centre
- UCL help to evaluate London's first PassivHaus
- UCL industry partnership advances telecommunications
- UCL Consultants enable the creation of new top-level web domains
- Crime science masterclasses enhance community safety
- A new framework to maximise children's life chances in the UK
- The Vodafone Booster Brolly: a cure for the summertime blues
- Shaping the train and Underground experience of the future
- Changing perceptions of climate change in Latin America
- Understanding gender-based violence in Nepal: a qualitative tracking study
- Expert Witness - Professor David Balding
- Helping to identify patients with ALK-positive lung cancers - Novartis/UK NEQAS case study
- Post-licensing use of antiretroviral drugs in HIV-positive people
- Performance under stress
- Mapping the People of Scotland
- UCL launches neuromarketing course: educating the marketing industry on how to avoid bad science
- Research into rare disorder wins Senior UCL Lecturer prestigious award
- Helping the maritime industry in its low carbon transition
UCL Consultants Ltd
The Network Building
97 Tottenham Court Road
London W1T 4TP
Tel: +44 (0)207 679 9796
Published: Jun 28, 2016 10:10:10 AM
Published: May 3, 2016 3:01:06 PM
Published: Nov 17, 2015 9:36:28 AM
Published: Aug 13, 2015 9:51:27 AM
The Vodafone Booster Brolly: a cure for the summertime blues
16 October 2013
An integrated umbrella, mobile phone charger and mobile signal booster, developed by Dr Kenneth Tong with the support of UCL Consultants.
Anyone who's ever been to a summer festival or outdoor event in the UK will know that two things are essential – an umbrella and making sure your mobile phone is charged before setting off.
But all that may be a thing of a the past, as UCL's Dr Kenneth Tong (UCL Electronic and Electrical Engineering) has designed and built an innovative prototype of a revolutionary umbrella which incorporates solar panels and signal boosting technology for mobile phones.
The brolly was commissioned by Vodafone, which explains this exciting new prototype's name, after they approached him to develop a device that would act as a signal booster and charger for mobile phone users during outdoor events and festivals.
Powered by the sun
Kenneth's innovative design incorporates flexible solar panels, hand-stitched onto the canopy, to power the device, while a high-gain antenna together with a low power signal repeater boosts the mobile signal of anyone immediately under or around the umbrella.
UCL Consultants’ Mark Sedgwick worked with Kenneth on a number of key aspects on the project, including:
- advising on the financial side of the collaboration
- negotiating the commercial terms of the device development
- providing legal advice on the potential ownership of the prototype’s intellectual property
- researching possible future commercialisation opportunities.
Dr Tong has plans to refine and further develop the brolly, including a canopy with fully-integrated solar panels and using aluminium in place of components currently made of brass to lighten it. Naturally, UCL Consultants will be available to support him as he does so.
“We’ve put in all of this technology and it looks good," says Dr Tong. "In fact, it’s a bit of a James Bond umbrella – you can’t tell what it does from the outside.”
Mark Sedgewick comments: “The Vodafone Booster Brolly is one of the most exciting projects that I have worked on at UCL Consultants. It was important to ensure that all of the key commercial conditions were clearly negotiated and agreed in advance.”
Find out more
If you want to know more about this project, or want to discuss a new project, we'd love to hear from you. Please contact us on:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)207 679 9796