Seminar Programme 2013-14
Professor Anne Twomey (University of Sydney)
6pm, 18 September 2014
The Day After
Judgement: Scotland and the UK
after the referendum
Prof Iain McLean & Jim Gallagher
1pm, 22 October 2014
To sign up to any of our events visit our EventBrite page: http://constitutionunit.eventbrite.co.uk/
These seminars are funded by her family in memory of Barbara Farbey, late of UCL, who greatly enjoyed them and who died in 2009.
What is the series?
Our seminars cover all areas of the constitution and open debate on a range of issues. We try to keep the programme topical and interesting and generate well informed and lively discussion between the speaker and our audience. We have broad discussions with high profile speakers as well as exploring more technical issues. We aim to keep the seminars accessible to all and film them for debate beyond the room.
Who are the seminars for?
The seminars are completely free and open to all. The presentations are filmed, however the Q&A is strictly under Chatham House Rule in order to facilitate an open and frank discussion. Our audience is wide-ranging, from official, academics and practitioners to students and interested members of the public. We aim to give you the opportunity to debate with those in the know.
When and where do the seminars take place?
The seminars are generally held at the Constitution Unit and can either be a lunchtime or evening event. Presentations are usually 30-40 minutes with another 20 for Q&A. Refreshments are always available before or after the event where participants can continue discussions informally.
How do I sign up?
Committee on Standards in Public Life—a new lease of life after 19 yrs - Prof
Peter Riddell & Richard Thomas CBE LLD (2 Oct 2013)
See video of Prof Peter Riddell»
See video of Richard Thomas »
- The House
of Lords: Westminster Bicameralism Revived - Dr Meg Russell & Mark D'Arcy (12 Nov 2013)
See video of Dr Meg Russell»
See video of Mark D'Arcy»
- Exploring Constitute: A New Tool for Searching National Constitutions - Dr James Melton (11 Dec 2013)
- Accountability and Leadership in 21st Century Whitehall - Bernard Jenkin MP (22 Jan 2014)
- Constitutional Reform in the Age of Arab Revolutions: Overcoming the Legacy of Totalitarianism - Zaid Al-Ali (10 Feb 2014)
- Parliament's Role in the Use of Military Action After the Syria Vote: the New Constitutional Convention and the Next Steps - Prof Gavin Phillipson (10 Mar 2014)
- Reforming Electoral Administration, Preparing for the 2015 Election - Jenny Watson (26 Mar 2014)
- Fruitcakes, Loonies, Closet racists and Winners?: Europe, the European Elections and the Rise of Ukip - Joe Twyman (18 May 2014)
- The Irish Constitutional Convention, 2012-14 - Prof David Farrell (31 May 2014)
- What of Wales? Putting Wales at the heart of constitutional change in Britain - Leanne Wood AM (11 Jun 2014)
- The Politics of Coalition - Prof Robert Hazell and Dr Ben Yong (Oct 2012)
- Redesigning Press Regulation: Lessons from Overseas - Lara Fielden (13 Nov 2012)
- The Role of the House of Lords in the Parliamentary Process - Baroness D'Souza (6 Dec 2013)
- Prospects for a British Bill of Rights - Sir Leigh Lewis (24 Jan 2013)
- What Place for the Referendum in the UK? - Prof Vernon Bogdanor (21 Feb 2013)
- Expertise and Policy: the Rise of the Government 'Tsar' - Dr Ruth Levitt and Stephen Boys Smith (21 Mar 2013)
See video of Dr Ruth Levit »
See video of Stephen Boys Smith »
Constitutional Role of Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman - Dame Julie Mellor (17 Apr 2013)
- Return to the West Lothian Question - Prof Charlie Jeffery and Sir Stephen Laws KCB (9 May 2013)
See video of Sir Stephen Laws »
See video of Prof Charlie Jeffery »
- Civil Service Accountability - Guy Lodge and Sir Leigh Lewis (18 Jun 2013)
See video of Guy Lodge »
See video of Sir Leigh Lewis »
- Changing the Rules of Succession and the Problem of the Realms - Prof Anne Twomey (27 Sept 2011)
- House of Commons Reform: One Year Report - Sir George Young (30 Nov 2011)
- Prospects for Lords Reform: a View from the Joint Committee - Baroness Symons and Lord Tyler (14 Dec 2011)
- Parliamentary Boundaries Review - Prof Ron Johnston, Prof Charles Pattie and David Rossiter (11 Jan 2012)
- Judicial Diversity - Prof Dame Hazel Genn (20 Feb 2012)
- Referendum of Scottish Independence: the Law and the Politics - Robert Hazell and Alan Trench (12 Mar 2014)
- Scrutinising Administrative Justice - Richard Thomas CBE (26 Apr 2012)
- Elected Mayors - Lord Adonis and Jules Pipe (22 May 2012)
- The Euro Crisis and its Implications for European Institutions - Charles Grant (13 Jun 2012)
- Fixed Term Parliaments - Prof Robert Blackburn (18 Oct 2010)
- Parliamentary Reform & the work of the Backbench Business Committee - Natascha Engel MP (17 Nov 2010)
- The Liberal Democrats and the Coalition - Mark Pack (26 Jan 2011)
- The New Cabinet Manual - Sir Gus O'Donnell (24 Feb 2011)
- The Black Widow Effect? The Consequences of the Coalition for Clegg & Co. - Prof Tim Bale (11 Mar 2011)
- The New Localism? - Prof Tony Travers (13 Apr 2011)
- The Coalition and the Constitution - Prof Vernon Bogdanor (12 May 2011)
- AV Referendum - Jenny Watson (15 Jun 2011)
- Reforming Party Funding - Prof Justin Fisher (7 Jul 2011)