Nick Clegg to appoint new Spads
24 October 2011
Following recommendations in our report into coalition government, the Deputy Prime Minister has announced new Liberal Democrat advisors will be placed in government departments.
The report, by Prof Robert Hazell and Dr Ben Yong, suggested that the Liberal Democrats have spread themselves too thinly and require additional resources to extend their influence, including more special advisers, expanded Private Offices, and additional support for the parliamentary party.
The report is part of a one-year project into monitoring the new coalition government in the UK sponsored by the Nuffield Foundation.
- Clegg hires £500k team of 'spies' to snoop on Tory ministers Daily Mail (24/10/2011)
- Nick Clegg to appoint seven 'spies' to keep eye on Tory ministers The Times (23/10/2011)
- Nick Clegg in Drive to boost Liberal Democrat influence The Telegraph (23/10/2011)
- Read the interim report from our research project into coalition government in the UK
- Launch press release
- Browse the project website