Summer studentships are CLOSED.
Summer studentships allow undergraduate students to experience research. Students work with researchers at CoMPLEX on an 8 week project.
- Who can apply?
- What is supported?
- How to apply
- Selection criteria
- Who will make decisions?
- After the award
- Previous projects
Who can apply?
The awards will be available to current undergraduate students (UK and EU). Students will be given desk space in the main CoMPLEX student room to allow interaction with CoMPLEX MRes and PhD students. The project must involve two supervisors, one from the physical sciences, mathematics, statistics or engineering and one from the life or medical sciences. It can cover any area within the CoMPLEX remit.
What is supported?
Studentships support a maximum of 8 weeks of work. This support will be divided into three parts.
- A subsistence allowance of £200/week.
- The cost of an economy return rail/airfare for students from outside London.
- A sum of £300 towards laboratory research costs.
How to apply.
Applications for Summer Studentships are CLOSED for 2014.
Students and supervisors make a joint, one-page application outlining the project, and giving a summary of what the student will gain from their work. The student should also send their curriculum vitae and also provide course marks to date.
Applications are CLOSED for 2014. Unfortunately there will not be any Summer Studentship opportunities for 2014.
- The potential for the proposed work to promote interdisciplinary work within the CoMPLEX remit.
- Preference will be given to project students who will work within the CoMPLEX centre and who will interact with CoMPLEX PhD students.
- Preference will be given to projects with UCL researchers who have actively contributed to the CoMPLEX programme.
Who will make decisions?
A committee appointed by the director of CoMPLEX (Dr Guy Moss) ranks both the applications and the students. Projects with the highest ranking will be supported, subject to the availability of funds. Students will be notified shortly after the application deadlines.
After the award
Students are expected to write a one-page summary of their achievements and experience for publicity on the CoMPLEX web site.
You can read about previous Summer Students and their projects is the Case Studies Section of the website.
Page last modified on 24 mar 14 11:57