University Accommodation

A guide to min/max weekly rents (2013-14 academic session)

UCL Halls of Residence
(catered facilities)
UCL Student Houses
Single room:
£129-£217 approx. per week
Single room:
£110 - £245 approx. per week

A number of different types of accommodation are available to students, including UCL Halls, Student Houses, University of London Intercollegiate Halls of Residence, and private accommodation. Further details are provided below.

UCL Halls

John Toyey House

There are two student halls at UCL – Ifor Evans Hall and Ramsay Hall. These are catered residences, providing breakfast and dinner from Monday to Friday, excluding national holidays. There is also a small kitchen on each floor for student use. Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Bed linen is not provided, but can be purchased. Hall fees cover residence from September to June, with the Christmas and Easter holidays included on a self-catering basis.

Student Houses

These are UCL residences in which students are responsible for providing and cooking their own food and cleaning their own rooms (and common areas if living in flats). Students can prepare their food in the shared kitchens, or meals may be bought from the various food outlets on the main UCL campus. Bed linen is not provided, but can be purchased. Students will need to provide their own kitchen utensils. Places are offered from September to June, including Christmas and Easter holidays. Fees range from approximately £100 to £245 per week depending on room type and facilities available. Some residences contain en-suite rooms, which come with their own showers and toilets.

Intercollegiate Halls of Residence

A typical room in Ramsay Hall

These halls are available to students attending any college of the University of London, including UCL. Accommodation is in twin or single rooms, normally sharing communal bathrooms. Breakfast and dinner are provided daily and lunch is available at weekends. These halls are not administered by UCL, but students preferring catered accommodation may include these halls in their preferences when completing their UCL application form.

Further details on University of London halls are available at the following site:

A provisional guide to UCL Residences’ Weekly Rents


Once we have confirmed a student is suitable for a full-time course at the UCL CLIE, we will send out a formal offer pack, including the appropriate application form for UCL accommodation. This should be completed and returned to the EAP Office at the UCL CLIE.

Diploma in EAP

For students who have applied to start a full-time course in September, a room in UCL accommodation is guaranteed if the student has accepted their offer of a place on the course AND submitted an accommodation application form before the application deadline of 31st May. Students who apply after this time are still likely be allocated a place in UCL accommodation, but may have to wait until shortly before or after the beginning of the course to find out in which residence they have a room. If you are applying after the 31 May, you may also want to consider alternative accommodation, more information about which will be sent in your offer pack.

A Room in Pankerd House

Diploma students starting their course at the beginning of term 2 in January are advised to apply for accommodation at the same time as they accept their offer on the course. There is no formal deadline for applications for accommodation from January to June.

Pre-sessional Courses

Students applying for Pre-sessional courses will be sent the Summer Residence application form that covers the period June to September. This form is published in March each year and will list those UCL residences available over the summer. During this period, catered residences are normally offered only on a self-catering basis. Students on the 20-week Extended Pre-sessional applying for accommodation will also be sent the application form that covers the period April to June.

Spring & Summer English Courses for University Students

3-week Spring courses:

Private dormitory or hotel accommodation. (As this course falls during the UCL academic year UCL student accommodation is typically full booked). UCL CLIE has used, Umi Hotel London, Britannia and International Students House to provide accommodation for previous Spring Courses.

3-week Summer Courses:

UCL student accommodation is typically available during the UCL summer vacation.

Accommodation fees: Estimated price per week per participant (dependent on requirements): £180 - £250

Further Information

Further information on UCL and alternative accommodation will be sent to you if you are offered a place on a full-time course at the UCL CLIE. You can also get more information on UCL accommodation on the UCL Residence Office website. Students wishing to obtain private lodgings or flats can also contact the University of London Accommodation Office.

Page last modified on 18 apr 13 16:02 by Anne Moore