- Spring/Summer English Courses for International University Students
- Language and Teaching Skills Development
Sorry, this Silva Document is not viewable.
Language and Teaching Skills Development
15 – 26 July 2013
Tuition Fees: £1,200
The UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE) offers teacher training programmes which include Cambridge ESOL CELTA and Delta courses and courses for teachers of English who do not work in the UK. It also runs full- and part-time EAP and foundation courses for international students as well as foreign language courses to UCL students and London’s wider academic and professional community.
The Centre is now offering a two-week (50 hours) teaching and English language development course for teachers of English whose first language is not English. The course is designed for teachers who wish to develop their English language skills and enhance their teaching practice.
Core teaching will be in the mornings with tutorials, tutor-guided workshops, visits and educational activities in the afternoons. The visits to places of significant cultural importance such as the British Museum and Tate Britain Art Gallery, allow participants to experience London's historical past and present.
Aims of the Course
By the end
of the course, participants will have developed their knowledge and use of English language within the context of London and British culture. They will have developed their knowledge of
language teaching methodologies and explored the practical skills involved in
the communicative teaching of English language.
Key Features of the Course
• Language input sessions designed in response to teachers’ needs
• Teacher development input to explore a variety of approaches to teaching English
• A visit to a local school with the opportunity to discuss practical teaching ideas
• Project work to allow participants to explore the practical implications of their teaching knowledge through designing materials for use in their classrooms
• Current trends in teaching materials and practice
• Visits to places of cultural interest in London and language input focussing on different aspects of the UK
• Exploration of British and other English language speaking cultures
All the key features of the course inform one another. For example, preparation for visits to places of cultural interest will include vocabulary or grammar teaching and language lessons will be used as demonstrations/models for teacher training.
All language input is delivered by experienced UCL English language teachers with wide-ranging experience in teaching English to learners of all ages and in a variety of educational environments. All teacher training input is delivered by trainers with many years experience designing and delivering teacher training in the UK and overseas in both the governmental and private sectors. Click here for information on some of our teaching and training staff involved in this programme.
Teaching will be conducted in groups of no more than 15 participants. All participants will receive a certificate from the UCL Centre for Languages & International Education.
Page last modified on 18 dec 12 13:20 by Martin L White