Online Dutch Courses at UCL
- CLIE Home
- Online Dutch Home
- Online cursussen Nederlands
- Lagelands Beginners Dutch Language Courses
- Hogelands Intermediate Dutch Language Courses
- Opperlands Advanced Dutch Language Course
- Early Modern Dutch Reading Skills Course
- Business Dutch Reading Skills Course
- Fees and Course Information
- Registration form
- Student Testimonials
Opperlands Advanced Dutch Language Course
Next start dates: 1st December 2014, 12th January and 2nd February 2015.
Opperlands is aimed at students worldwide who have successfully completed Hogelands II or who have reached a minimum linguistic standard of level B2 as defined by the Council of Europe. Taught entirely in Dutch, Opperlands is geared at developing your speaking, listening, reading and writing skills at an advanced level. The course runs over a 12-week study period and consists of four thematic chapters. The course themes range from the Dutch and Belgian colonial past to the modern-day multicultural societies of the Low Countries, allowing you to also develop your knowledge of the culture, society and history of the Netherlands and Flanders.
chapter offers a variety of authentic reading and listening materials. Reading
materials range from modern-day columns and newspaper articles to 17th-century
poems and pamphlets. The listening materials include fragments from Dutch and
Flemish movies, current affairs programs and radio interviews. All writing,
listening and speaking activities in the course are tutor-supported and you
receive weekly feedback from your tutor on all your submitted work. Another key
feature of the course are the frequent videoconferencing sessions (via Skype) between you
and your tutor. They allow you to practise your listening and speaking skills
and to interact directly with your course tutor in a one-hour session.
At the end of the
course you will have:
- an advanced level of proficiency in Dutch (C1 CEFR). You will be able: to understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics; to interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity with native speakers; to produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue
- good knowledge of the culture, history and society of the Netherlands and Belgium
- insight into language structure and good self-study skills
You need internet access and a computer and webcam. The course includes live sessions using Skype.
The only printed book you need is a translating dictionary (Dutch/English, English/Dutch).
The course is delivered by means of a web-based learning environment and includes frequent (individual) teaching sessions via Skype. Your tutor will support you with the course materials and provide you with feedback on all your written work. All speaking exercises you do with your tutor via Skype. You can also ask your tutor for advice and guidance.
Note that the Skype sessions do not take place at a set time. You decide with your tutor for each individual call on a day and time that suits the both of you. Note however that once the Skype session has been arranged, calls need to be cancelled and postponed no later than 24 hours before the call is due to take place. If you don't cancel the call in time, it will be assumed to have taken place. If you decide to have the session at a new date, you need to pay an extra charge via the Online Store of UCL.
Assessment is based on (online submitted) coursework.
Opperlands (12 study weeks): £480.
To sign up for the course, complete and submit this form. After completing the form, you can pay the course fee by credit card using the UCL online store.
Page last modified on 10 nov 14 10:50 by An