Online Dutch Courses at UCL
- CLIE Home
- Online Dutch Home
- Online cursussen Nederlands
- Lagelands Beginners Dutch Language Courses 1 and 2
- Hogelands Intermediate Dutch Language Courses
- Opperlands Advanced Dutch Language Course
- Early Modern Dutch Reading Skills Short Course
- Business Dutch Reading Skills Short Course
- Fees and Course Information
- Registration form
- Student Testimonials
Hogelands Intermediate Dutch Language Courses
Next start dates: 1st July, 5th August, 2nd September
Hogelands I and II are tutor-supported online courses for intermediate learners of Dutch. Each course runs over a 12-weeks study period. Hogelands I is ideal for students who have successfully completed Lagelands 2 or who have reached a similar linguistic standard, roughly equivalent to level A2 as defined by the Council of Europe. Hogelands II builds on the skills you learn in Hogelands I and is therefore for students who have successfully completed Hogelands I. The courses are taught in Dutch and in English. They are available to students worldwide world and taught on a on-to-one basis (i.e. one tutor for each individual student).
Hogelands I and II are built around four thematic lessons each. All lessons have a different theme, ranging from science and education, to transport. Each lesson includes reading and listening texts, with grammatical and other commentary. All text and audio material is authentic. The online activities are designed to develop the four language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing. They also foster your ICT and communication skills. For all exercises and tasks you receive feedback from your tutor.
A key feature of the courses are the frequent videoconferencing sessions between you and your tutor. They allow you to practise your listening and speaking skills and to interact directly with your course tutor.
The course is further linked to an online reference grammar of Dutch, which provides additional self-access exercise materials.
At the end of the
course you will have:
- an intermediate level of proficiency in Dutch: you will be able to communicate both orally and written in a wide range of contexts and situations; to express your opinions; to report what other people have said; to make structured notes; and to write different types of text.
- insight into language structure and good self-study skills
You need internet access and a computer and webcam as described in our Computer Specifications section. The only printed book you need is a translating dictionary (Dutch/English, English/Dutch).
The course is taught by Dr An Vanderhelst. She helps you with the course materials and provides feedback on your written and oral work. You can also ask her for advice and guidance. The course is taught by means of a web environment and webcam-type tutorials.
Assessment is based on (online submitted) coursework.
Click here for course fees and further information
|To sign up for the course, complete and submit this form.|
Page last modified on 12 jun 13 15:14 by James A Green