The full course is offered over 32 weeks, starting in September each year; there is also a January entry point. It provides 18* teaching contact hours per week. Teaching is by lecture, classes, seminars and workshops as well as a weekly individual tutorial.
All students study two core modules:
- English for Academic Purposes
- Research, Argumentation and Criticality
In addition, students will undertake an independent research project in their chosen field, which may include options in the following disciplines:
• Architecture & Design
• Business, Finance and Management
• Life Sciences and Medical Sciences
• Humanities and Social Sciences
• Law and International Relations
• Public Policy
• Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
An optional IELTS class is also available.
English for Academic purposes class sizes are kept small, with an average of 14 students in each class.
Students receive the Diploma in English for Academic Purposes qualification based on a combination of formal course assessments and examinations.
*This excludes breaks and is calculated using the UCL class 'hour' of 50 minutes.