UCL International Graduate Preparation Courses (GPC)
The UCL International Graduate Preparation Courses (GPC) prepare international students from all over the world for high-level academic study.
They provide the necessary linguistic, academic and research skills needed to succeed at graduate level and enable students to fulfill the English language proficiency requirements for entry onto Master's degrees at UCL and some at other UK universities.
There are four UCL International Graduate Preparation Courses:
- International Pre-Master's - September and January start
- Pre-Master’s Certificate in Architecture - January start
- Pre-sessional English Courses - April, June, July, August start
- Diploma in English for Academic Purposes - September and January start
Part-time English for Academic Purposes courses are also offered for current degree students.
Course Aims and Objectives
- Develop critical thinking skills
- read academic texts effectively
- develop lecture comprehension
- express and support ideas clearly and accurately in academic communication
- give oral presentations and participating in seminars
- undertake independent research.
Students benefit from:
- Taught in classes, seminars and lectures by UCL teaching staff. English for Academic Purposes classes are taught in small groups with an average of 14 learners per class
- Opportunities to attend lectures given by leading UCL academics
- An average of 20 UCL teaching hours per week (50 minute sessions)
- Regular individual tutorials with a personal tutor and support with submitting degree applications
- Optional IELTS preparation classes
- A social programme of events in London and full access to UCL facilities