- Winter Term 2014 - Monday 19th January - Friday 27th March 2015(10 weeks)
- Registration is now open.
- Please note that the deadline for in person assessment is w/b 1st December 2014.
- Taster classes on Wednesday 10th December 2014. The class will involve teaching a beginner class for 40 minutes involving clients in activities/conversation. Please phone on 020 7679 5454 to book your place. It is FOC.
- 13:00 to 13:40 for Italian (Malet Street room 352) and Welsh (Malet Street room 353)
- 14:00 to 14:40 for Icelandic (26 Bedford Way room 113), Dutch (Birkbeck Malet St 351), Portuguese (16-18 Gordon Sq room G09) & Latin (Birkbeck Malet St 353).
Who needs an assessment?
If you are a complete beginner in your target language, or if you are currently studying with us and simply want to re-enrol you do not need an assessment.
If you have any knowledge of or previous qualifications in your chosen language but are not currently studying it with us, you will need to book an assessment.
Why do we run assessments?
People who apply to participate in our courses have varying levels of ability in their chosen language. Some may have studied the language already, others may have some knowledge from family or friends, but have never formally studied it.
We run assessments to give applicants a chance to meet with our tutors and to be placed in a suitable class according to ability. This helps to ensure the maximum amount of success and enjoyment for our students.
What to expect
Our assessments are simply an informal conversation with one of our tutors. They will decide which level will be most suitable for you by talking to you in the target language and by listening to the level of response that you can give.
Some assessments may involve a small amount of writing or reading, particularly for languages that do not use the Latin alphabet (Japanese, Greek etc.)
The assessment should take no longer than 15 minutes. If you are having difficulty understanding the tutor or if have any queries at any point, the tutor will always be happy to speak to you in English.
How to book
Assessments are booked as part of the online application process. When you have completed your application you will be asked to select a day and time for your assessment. If there are no days/times available you will be given the number to call the office for alternative arrangements.
Assessment outcomes and timetabling
Once you have completed your assessment the tutor will direct you to our office where we will discuss your timetable options.
Page last modified on 19 aug 14 16:23 by Laura Mezzomo