English for Academic Purposes
- Part Time English Courses
Brochures available at CLIE Reception from September.
All English language courses have been accredited and are regularly inspected by the British Council.
Academic Listening, Academic Speaking and Pronunciation
These courses focus on understanding and using spoken English. For help with understanding academic lectures and following seminar discussions, choose the Academic Listening Skills course. If you are mostly concerned about making yourself understood and speaking and pronouncing more clearly, then you should choose the Pronunciation course. If you feel you need to gain confidence in public speaking (giving presentations, seminars or speaking at conferences), in addition to improving your general pronunciation, then you should choose the Pronunciation and Public Speaking course. If you would like to gain more confidence in more informal, unrehearsed speaking such as class discussions and seminars or even tutorials, then choose the Academic Speaking Skills course.
- If your English pronunciation is already very good but you wish to speak like a native speaker, or if people already treat you like a native speaker, for example, on the phone, then these courses may not be suitable for you.
Will the Pronunciation and Public Speaking, and Pronunciation courses help me to improve my general conversation and discussion skills?
- Not specifically.
- For this, you should choose Academic Speaking Skills.
- Yes, if you are required to give presentations in your work.
- Yes, if you would like to improve your public speaking and pronunciation skills.
- Not specifically.
- Some pronunciation may be included but we do not teach pronunciation systematically in this course (see Pronunciation).
- Your tutor may give you the opportunity to make a short seminar presentation in the class, but we do not specifically practise presentation skills (see Pronunciation and Public Speaking).
Will the Pronunciation course help me speak like a native speaker, or speak ‘correct British English’?
- Our aim is to help your speak more clearly and accurately, so that others can understand you. To achieve a more native-speaker-like pronunciation is likely to require intensive one-to-one training or voice coaching. Such a transformation is not possible from a short course.
Page last modified on 08 sep 11 16:57 by James W Knopp