English for Academic Purposes
- Part Time English Courses
- Academic Writing Reading and Grammar
- Listening, Speaking and Pronunciation
- In-sessional EAP
- Part Time EAP FAQs
- FAQs for Academic Writing, Academic Reading, and Advanced Grammar
Brochures available at CLIE Reception from September.
All English language courses have been accredited and are regularly inspected by the British Council.
This one-term course aims to help improve understanding and use of grammar (in both speaking and writing) for participants whose main language is not English but who already have a good knowledge of English at upper intermediate level or above (e.g. IELTS 6.5-7.0). In other words, this course focuses on grammar for experienced users of English at an advanced level, such as that required for academic study.
The course may not be appropriate for speakers who already have extensive experience of studying English grammar at an advanced level (e.g. IELTS 7.5 or higher).
Areas to be covered may include: use and choice of verb tense, generic and specific nouns, modal verbs, conditionality, word formation, prepositions, comparison, sentence structure.
Delivery and Methodology
The classes will consist of tutor presentation of new items together with oral and written practice exercises.
- Classes are taught in a variety of interactive and communicative ways, often based around tasks which require practice of specific grammar areas.
- Participants will be expected to work in pairs and small groups as well as individually.
- Some whole-class interaction will take place, but the content is not delivered in lecture form.
Page last modified on 05 sep 13 15:55 by James W Knopp