English for Academic Purposes
Eap Application Form
EAP Application Form

2014 EAP brochures


Full-Time EAP Brochure

Pdf 简体中文
Pdf 繁體中文
Pdf العربية
Pdf 日本語
Pdf 한국어
Pdf Русский
Pdf Türkçe
Pdf Espanol
Pdf کوردی

All English Language Courses have been accredited and are regularly inspected by the British Council.

British Council 2011

Degree Progression - Information for UCL EAP students on applying to UK universities

What universities can I apply to?

Students on UCL EAP courses have progressed to many different universities in the UK. In addition to UCL, a number of UK universities may accept the UCL Diploma or Pre-sessional qualifications. Applicants planning to study at an institution other than UCL are advised to check the acceptability of the UCL EAP qualification, as a qualification such as IELTS may need to be taken. See below for more details.

Most students on the Pre-sessional Courses will already hold a conditional offer for UCL or a postgraduate programme at another UK university. Students on the Extended Pre-sessional Course (beginning in April) and the Diploma course (beginning in September or January) will have the opportunity to receive help and advice on making a postgraduate application.

Some Diploma and Pre-sessional Student destinations other than UCL, these include Postgraduate and Undergraduate programmes i.e. BA, BSc, MA, MSc, PhD, LLB, LLM.
London: Across the UK:
The Institute of Education Bristol Edinburgh
Architectural Association Queen Mary University of London Leeds Reading
Imperial College London Middlesex Manchester Southampton
City University The University of the Arts Nottingham  
Goldsmiths Brunel Warwick  
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Royal Holloway University of London Surrey  
King's College London Westminister Oxford  
SOAS   St Andrews  

Note: you will need to check which universities accept UCL EAP qualifications, and the Educational Advisor can give guidance on this matter.

Will universities want me to sit an IELTS test before I start my degree course?

All universities accept IELTS scores, but UCL EAP qualifications may be recognised as an alternative by some. The Centre can help in providing information about the Diploma and Pre-sessional assessments to other universities and departments, detailing how scores awarded after the formal assessments and examinations can be seen as an alternative to IELTS.

The UCL CLIE provides optional IELTS classes for students who need to sit the IELTS exam. Students can arrange to take an IELTS test at a centre in London. CLIE can provide contact information for suitable centres. For details of IELTS test centres in the UK, see http://www.ielts.org

Students learn to search for academic articles in their weekly Research Skills class.

Students learn to search for academic articles in their weekly Research Skills class.

Information specifically for Graduate Students

How do I apply for my post-graduate degree programmes (MA, MSc, etc)

Postgraduate degree applications in the UK are made directly to individual universities, online or by post. For 'Frequently asked questions' about applying to postgraduate programmes at UCL please visit http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate-study/application/taught/faqs

Students on the Diploma and Extended Pre-sessional Course may make a postgraduate application during the first weeks of the courses with the help and advice of the Centre's Education Advisor.

Is there a deadline for graduate applications?

Universities generally expect to receive applications early in the new year. Deadlines vary - some popular courses may have very early deadlines - so do check the university or department website to check that submissions are still being accepted. 

How many academic references will I need?

At graduate level, universities usually ask for 2 academic references - these must be from people who taught you on your first degree (very occasionally one reference can be from a professional referee). UCL Centre for Languages & International Education tutors cannot act as your referee. References need to be in English (or an official translation bearing the stamp and signature of the translator). You need original references for each application. It is not necessary to use the application reference forms provided by the universities; instead applicants can enclose letters of reference. Referees should be able to comment on the following:

  • your academic ability / record / progress at university/marks;
  • your suitability to study your chosen subject area;
  • your suitability to study in the UK;
  • relevant personal qualities.

Students also need a transcript of their degree qualifications in English. One original document will be needed for each application submitted.

Erhan from Turkey chose to study the Diploma in order to prepare his English and academic skills for undergraduate study at university. Erhan received help from the UCL Language Centre's Education Advisor to make a degree application. He studied at Warwick University.

Erhan from Turkey chose to study the Diploma in order to prepare his English and academic skills for undergraduate study at Warwick university.

Erhan received help from the UCL Language Centre's Education Advisor to make a degree application

Information specifically for Undergraduate Students

How do I apply for my undergraduate degree course?

All undergraduate university applications in the UK are made online through UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). Students complete one application form for a maximum of five universities. The deadline for submission of the UCAS application each year is around mid-January. Students planning to apply for Medicine, Veterinary Sciences or to Oxford or Cambridge need to complete their UCAS application by mid-October - soon after starting Term 1 of the course. For further information check the University website.

All UCAS applications must be supported by an academic reference. Diploma students should be aware that the UCAS reference should be written by a previous teacher (not a UCL Centre for Languages & International Education tutor). The information below is a guide for your referee. It is important that they comment on the following points:

  • Your academic achievement or potential, including predicted results or performance
  • Your suitability for the courses or subjects you are applying for, including where relevant their suitability for a particular profession, for example teaching
  • Any factors that could influence your performance
  • Your personal qualities such as motivation, communication skills and powers of analysis and independent thought
  • Your career plans
  • Relevant work experience, work placements, voluntary work and so on
  • Information about any disability, special needs and other requirements. The reference should not give information about an applicant's health or disability without their agreement
  • Other interests or activities

UCAS information and registration sessions take place at the beginning of Term 1 to help all undergraduate students with the UCAS process. You can visit the UCAS website to find out more information about the application process.

Who will help me with my UCAS application?

The Centre's Education Adviser can assist students with their university applications. 

What happens after I send my UCAS form?

After a few weeks, students receive an acknowledgement card from UCAS confirming that the application has been received. This is followed soon afterwards by a letter that lists the universities and courses applied to.

Universities usually start to contact applicants from January onwards. Students may be asked to attend an interview or an Open Day.