Law Econ Soc News
- Dr Lianos appointed Visiting Professor at the University of Chile's Faculty of Law
- Dr Lianos speaks to All Party Parliamentary Group at the House of Lords
- Regulating Trade in Services in the EU and WTO: Trust, Distrust and Economic Integration
- PhD candidate Florence Thépot awarded research fellowship
- PhD candidate Matt Strader attended the International Graduate Legal Research Conference
- PhD candidate Matt Strader attends course in Gerzensee in Switzerland
- Dr Lianos speaks at St Petersburg International Legal Forum
- Global Limits of Competition Law
- PhD candidate Deni Mantzari attends European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) conference
- PhD candidate Deni Mantzari invited to participate in EU Judicial Training
- Sport and Competition Law
- The CLES co-organised conference in Chicago on Brands, Competition and the Law
- Professor William S. Comanor speaks on mergers and innovation in the pharmaceutical industry
- A panel of experts from the United States and Europe explore the law and economics of resale price maintenance
- Dr Ioannis Lianos speaks at the First "Open Innovations" Forum (Moscow)
- Dr Ioannis Lianos awarded the prestigious Philip Leverhulme prize 2012
10-11 June 2015
Innovation, Competition Law and IP Rights
12 June 2015
Competition Law in China
18 June 2015
Getting Merger Control Clearances for Corporate Deals: EU and Multi-Jurisdictional Merger Control in Practice
22-23 June 2015
BRICS Competition Law and Policy Workshop
For more information and to view past events, please go to the events pages.
For general enquiries, please contact:
+44 (0)20 7679 1407
t.wingender [at] ucl.ac.uk
For research project enquiries, please contact:
Dr Ioannis Lianos
+44 (0)20 7679 1028
i.lianos [at] ucl.ac.uk .
- Causal Uncertainty and Damages Claims for Infringement of Competition Law in Europe by Ioannis Lianos
For more working papers, please visit the CLES Research Paper Series section on this website.
Sport and Competition Law
11 October 2012
The interaction of competition law with sports and the specificity of this area have been examined in the CLES's lecture on "Sport and Competition law: Recent developments and unfinished business".
The lecture was held at the Moot Court room at UCL Laws on Wednesday, October 10th, 2012. The main speaker, Dr. Ben van Rompuy (from the T.C. Asser Institute in the Netherlands), provided an excellent overview of the recent and some less recent case law of the EU Courts and decisional practice of the European Commission and national competition authorities on the application of competition law in the area of sports (e.g. sporting rules and the broadcasting of sports).
According to van Rompuy, sport and competition law have an uneasy relationship. While the European Commission’s competition decisions in the area of sport have set out broad principles, many questions regarding how to take the specific characteristics of sport and its societal function into account in competition law enforcement remain unsettled. Since the decentralization of EU competition law enforcement in 2004, enforcement activity in this area has largely shifted to the national level. As a result, all stakeholders (sports organisations, rights owners, clubs, sports practitioners, etc.) increasingly need to learn and draw from national cases and enforcement decisions. The complexity of the task of balancing sporting and commercial interests under EU competition law has been thoroughly explored, focusing on outstanding issues and options relating to the marketing and exploitation of sports broadcasting rights, in particular joint selling, joint buying, and access to content by consumers.
Nicholas Green QC (Brick Court chambers) provided excellent comments by examining critically the recent case law of the Court of Justice of the EU in the recent "Karen Murphy" litigation, in which he was involved.
The debate was attended by more than 50 graduate students, practitioners and consultants in the area of competition law and sports law. It was chaired by the Director of the CLES, Dr. Ioannis Lianos.
Page last modified on 11 oct 12 16:30