Stephen Instone Memorial Funds
Stephen Instone Postgraduate Studentship Fund
The Department of Greek and Latin at UCL, with the support of Stephen's family, has created a postgraduate studentship fund. The fund will offer bursaries to deserving postgraduate students based in our department whose special area of interest lies in an aspect of Greek literature (at either MA or PhD level). The Fund has been established in recognition of Stephen’s scholarship and research interests, and in order to support postgraduate study at a time when many students are struggling to find the funds to continue their study of the ancient world beyond their first degree.
Anyone wishing to donate can contact the Departmental Office at email@example.com (0207 679 7522), or donate online at
Select Greek and Latin from the menu, then Instone Postgraduate Studentship Fund. Donors (UK taxpayers) are encouraged to use Gift Aid to increase the value of the donation.
Those who wish to donate through the post can download a UCL Gift form here.
Stephen Instone Undergraduate Travel Fund
The new Postgraduate Fund will run alongside and complement the Stephen Instone Undergraduate Travel Fund that from 2010 began to award bursaries to undergraduates for travel to ancient sites in the Mediterranean. Undergraduates in receipt of awards send in postcards from their travels and write reports about their activities abroad, all of which are then put on display in the department before being passed on to Stephen’s family.
Stephen Instone (1954-2009)
Stephen went to Westminster School and Balliol, and then Bedford College, London, where he completed a PhD on Pindar supervised by Martin West. His research interests varied widely over Greek religion, athletics, Homer and Pindar. Some of his publications are listed below:
- Greek Personal Religion: a reader (Aris & Phillips: Oxford 2009)
- Pindar: Selected Odes, ed. (Warminster, 1996)
- 'Some Divine Interventions in the Iliad', Eranos 99 (2003), 103-113.
- Essays for Theo Zinn, co.ed. (Leominster, 2006)
- 'Humour in Virgil', in Essays for Theo Zinn, co.ed. (Leominster, 2006)
- 'Origins of the Olympics', in Pindar's Poetry, Patrons and Festivals, edd. Hornblower and Morgan (Oxford, 2006)
- Pindar: The Complete Odes, co-ed. (Oxford, 2007)
- 'Darkness my Light: Enigmatic Ajax', in Studies in Ancient Greek Poetry Presented to M.L.West on his Seventieth Birthday, ed. P.Finglass (Oxford, 2007)
Stephen’s obituary in The Times Higher is accessible here.
His premature death was a terrible shock to his family, friends and professional colleagues. He continues to be missed greatly.
Page last modified on 05 jan 12 15:19