The deadline for MA studentships for 2016/17 entry has been extended until Friday 15 July 2016 due to high demand. More...
Fiachra Mac Góráin
Lecturer in Classics
Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Office hours: by appointment
Research interests: Latin literature, especially Augustan poetry; Virgilian poetry and reception; myth and religion; Ireland and the Classics.
I completed a BA in Classics at Trinity College Dublin, and masters and doctoral degrees at the University of Oxford.
My research interests range widely over Latin literature and the history of interpretation. I find it fascinating to explore how we use and understand antiquity, sometimes with modern lenses, and sometimes with ancient ones.
At present I am finishing a book to be entitled Virgil's Dionysus, and several articles on Virgil.
Together with Charles Martindale (Bristol/York) I am editing the second edition of The Cambridge Companion to Virgil, to which I will also be contributing.
In September 2015 I organized a conference on Dionysus in Rome and Italy. I am currently editing the proceedings of this conference, which should appear under the title Dionysus and Rome.
Together with Valentina Arena (UCL History) I organized a colloquium on Varro and antiquarianism in the late Roman Republic. We are working towards publication of the proceedings in 2017.
I am very interested in promoting discussion between readers of Classical literature and literature from other cultural contexts. To this end, I co-organized (with Peter Mack) a colloquium on Roman satire and its reception, which took place at the Warburg Institute in October 2014.
As Undergraduate Admissions Tutor I am keen to hear from students interested in studying Classics and the Ancient World.
- "Virgil's Bacchus and the Roman Republic." In Augustan Poetry and the Roman Republic, ed. D. Nelis and J. Farrell, (Oxford 2013), 124-145.
- "The Shepherds Jubilee. A Dublin Eclogue from 1701." In Vergilius 59 (2013), 81-110.
- "Speeches" and "Dialogue." In The Virgil Encyclopedia, ed. R. F. Thomas and J. M. Ziolkowski (Harvard 2013).
- "Apollo and Dionysus in Virgil." In Incontri di filologia classica XII (2012-13; publ. 2014), 191-238.
- "The Mixed Blessings of Bacchus in Virgil's Georgics." In Dictynna 11 (2014).
- "The Argo: Archaic Wonder and Innovation." In Maia 67.2 (2015), 233-251.
- "The Poetics of Vision in Virgil's Aeneid." Forthcoming in Harvard Studies in Classical Philology 110 (2016).
- "Untitled/Arma virumque." Forthcoming in Classical Philology 112 (2017).
- "Dionysus in Rome." Forthcoming in The Blackwell Companion to the Reception of Classical Myth, ed. V. Zajko and H. Hoyle.
- "The Politics of Appropriation: Levels of Authority in Virgil’s Rewriting of Homer." Forthcoming in Contextualising Rewritten Scripture, ed. A. Klostergaard Petersen, (Brill).