Published: Oct 26, 2015 7:10:54 PM
Published: Nov 21, 2013 9:06:33 PM
Fiachra Mac Góráin
Lecturer in Classics
Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Office hours: Monday 1-3 p.m. or by appointment
Research interests: Augustan poetry, especially Virgil; Virgilian exegesis; Dionysus in Latin poetry; intertextuality; the reception of Virgil in Ireland.
I completed a BA in Classics at Trinity College Dublin, and masters and doctoral degrees at the University of Oxford. I am currently writing a book, to be entitled Virgil's Dionysus.
- "Virgil's Bacchus and the Roman Republic." In Augustan Poetry and the Roman Republic, ed. D. Nelis and J. Farrell, (Oxford 2013), 124-145.
- "The Shepherds Jubilee. A Dublin Eclogue from 1701." In Vergilius 59 (2013), 81-110.
- "Speeches" and "Dialogue." In The Virgil Encyclopedia, ed. R. F. Thomas and J. M. Ziolkowski (Harvard 2013).
- "Apollo and Dionysus in Virgil." In Incontri di filologia classica XII (2012-13; publ. 2014), 191-238.
- "The Mixed Blessings of Bacchus in Virgil's Georgics." In Dictynna 11 (2014).
- "The Argo: Archaic Wonder and Innovation." In Maia 67.2 (2015), 233-251.
- "The Poetics of Vision in Virgil's Aeneid." Forthcoming in Harvard Studies in Classical Philology 110 (2016).
- "Dionysus in Rome." Forthcoming in The Blackwell Companion to the Reception of Classical Myth, ed. V. Zajko.
- "The Politics of Appropriation: Levels of Authority in Virgil’s Rewriting of Homer." Forthcoming in Contextualising Rewritten Scripture, ed. A. Klostergaard Petersen, (Brill).
Page last modified on 26 jan 16 11:40