Fiachra Mac Góráin
Lecturer in Classics
Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Office hours: Term 2, 2015: Tuesday 11-1, or by appointment.
Research interests: Augustan poetry, especially Virgil; Virgilian exegesis; Dionysus in Latin poetry; intertextuality; the reception of Virgil in Ireland.
I completed a BA in Classics at Trinity College Dublin, and masters and doctoral degrees at the University of Oxford. I am currently writing a book, to be entitled Virgil's Dionysus.
- "Virgil's Bacchus and the Roman Republic". In D. Nelis, J. Farrell (eds.), Augustan Poetry and the Roman Republic (Oxford 2013), 124-145.
- "The Shepherds Jubilee. A Dublin Eclogue from 1701." In Vergilius 59 (2013), 81-110.
- "Speeches" and "Dialogue". In R. F. Thomas, J. M. Ziolkowski (eds.), The Virgil Encyclopedia (Harvard 2013).
- "Apollo and Dionysus in Virgil". In Incontri di filologia classica XII (2012-13; publ. 2014), 191-238.
- "The Mixed Blessings of Bacchus in Virgil's Georgics. In Dictynna 11 (2014).
- "The Politics of Appropriation: Levels of Authority in Virgil’s Rewriting of Homer". In A. Klostergaard Petersen (ed.), Contextualising Rewritten Scripture (Brill, forthcoming).
Page last modified on 21 dec 14 11:52