Thursday 11 December 2014, 5-7 pm More...
Published: Dec 13, 2013 3:59:26 PM
Published: Nov 21, 2013 9:06:33 PM
Published: Jun 4, 2013 10:23:34 AM
Term time office hours: tbc
Research interests: Greek literature, especially early Greek poetry, oratory, drama
IRIS research profile
I am part of the Liverpool diaspora. I began my career in Cambridge (where I was a research fellow at Jesus College) before moving to St Andrews, where I taught from 1977 to 1991, except for a visiting professorship at University of Minnesota in 1987-8; while there I also taught at Carleton College, Minnesota. I was Professor of Classics at Royal Holloway from 1991, before coming to UCL to take up the Chair of Greek in 2003. I love the smell and feel and noise of London and the constant vibrancy and energy at UCL. A brief CV can be found here.
My PhD was on Pindar and was supervised by Pat Easterling, John Killen and the late Sir Denys Page. I return constantly to my first love, Greek lyric poetry, though over the years I've also published on tragedy, comedy, Homer and especially oratory and law. I am under contract to produce a Cambridge ‘green and yellow’ commentary on book 7 of Herodotos.
Silva Code Source «HTML: Add horizontal rule»
- A commentary on five odes of Pindar (Arno Press, New York 1981)
- Demosthenes: selected private speeches, in collaboration with R.A. Reid (Cambridge University Press 1985)
- Lysias: selected speeches (Cambridge University Press 1989)
- Apollodoros Against Neaira [Demosthenes 59](Aris and Phillips, Warminster 1992)
- Trials from classical Athens (London and New York, Routledge 1997)
- The speeches of Aeschines (Austin, University of Texas Press 2000)
- Democracy in classical Athens (Bristol Classical Press 2000, revised 2001)
- Lysiae orationes cum fragmentis (Oxford University Press 2007)
- Reading the victory ode, edited by Peter Agocs, Richard Rawles and Chris Carey (Cambridge 2012)
- Receiving the komos: receptions of the victory ode, edited by Peter Agocs, Richard Rawles and Chris Carey (London 2012)
- Marathon 2,500 years: proceedings of the Marathon conference 2010, edited by C. Carey/M.J. Edwards (London 2013)
A full list of publications can be found here.
Projects in progress/planned:
- Elegy and iambus: new readings, edited by Laura Swift and Chris Carey (Oxford in preparation)
- Herodotos, Book 7 (Cambridge University Press); under contract
- Athenian Law (under contract)
- Greek literary epigram, edited by Maria Kanellou, Ivana Petrovic and Chris Carey (contract under negotation)
- Use and abuse of law in the Athenian courts, edited by Ifigeneia Giannadaki, Brenda Griffith-Williams and Chris Carey (Brill); under contract
Page last modified on 20 oct 14 09:03