On the translation of Classical texts
Published: Feb 13, 2015 11:41:30 AM
Published: Jun 4, 2013 10:23:34 AM
Keeling Lectures and Colloquia
Together with the UCL Philosophy department, and through the generosity of a private donor, the Department organises a series of Keeling Memorial Colloquia on the relation between modern and ancient philosophy.
- The first colloquium was organised by Bob Heinaman of the Philosophy department, and its proceedings published in Aristotle and Moral Realism (ed. R. Heinaman, London: UCL Press 1995).
- The second colloquium, on interpretations of Aristotle (November 1998) was arranged by Bob Sharples, and its proceedings published in Whose Aristotle? Whose Aristotelianism? (ed. R.W. Sharples, Aldershot: Ashgate 2001).
- The third colloquium, on Descartes and ancient philosophy (November 1999) was arranged by Gerard O'Daly and Martin Stone.
- The fourth colloquium, on the influence of Plato on the development of Aristotle's ethics (November 2001), was arranged by Bob Heinaman, and its proceedings published in Plato and Aristotle's Ethics (ed. R. Heinaman, Aldershot: Ashgate, 2003).
- The fifth colloquium, on Philosophy and the Sciences in Antiquity (November 2003) was arranged by Bob Sharples and published in a volume of the same title (ed. R.W. Sharples, Aldershot: Ashgate 2005).
- The sixth colloquium, on Aristotle's Eudemian Ethics (November 2006) was arranged by Bob Heinaman.
- The seventh colloquium, on Particulars in Greek Philosophy (November 2007) was arranged by Bob Sharples.
- The eighth colloquium, on
Self-Knowledge in Ancient Philosophy (November 2009) was arranged by Bob Sharples and Fiona Leigh.
There is also an annual S.V. Keeling Memorial Lecture: most of the first ten of these have been published in Modern Thinkers and Ancient Thinkers (ed. R.W. Sharples, London: UCL Press 1993), and most of the second ten in Perspectives on Greek Philosophy (ed.R.W. Sharples, Aldershot: Ashgate 2003). Subsequent lectures will be published on-line, being added as they become available.
Page last modified on 11 jan 13 10:02