Friday 17 October 2014 More...
Published: Sep 4, 2014 4:23:49 PM
Published: Jun 4, 2013 10:23:34 AM
The Stephen Instone Travel Award
Every year, current students are invited to apply for the Stephen
Instone Undergraduate Travel Fund which awards bursaries to
undergraduates for travel to ancient sites in the Mediterranean.
Undergraduates in receipt of awards send in postcards from their travels and write reports about their activities abroad, all of which are then put on display in the department before being passed on to Stephen’s family.
The application deadline for the fund is the end of February each year.
- 2013: Rome trip: Joe Dodd, Beth Lloyd, Clementine Budd, Ella Lane, Tom Chesover and Andrew Hulse
- 2012: Rebecca Rothwell's Adventures in Rome and Annie Jeffery's Grand Tour of Greece
Stephen Instone (1954-2009)
Stephen went to Westminster School and Balliol, and then Bedford College, London, where he completed a PhD on Pindar supervised by Martin West. His research interests varied widely over Greek religion, athletics, Homer and Pindar. Some of his publications are listed below:
- Greek Personal Religion: a reader (Aris & Phillips: Oxford 2009)
- Pindar: Selected Odes, ed. (Warminster, 1996)
- 'Some Divine Interventions in the Iliad', Eranos 99 (2003), 103-113.
- Essays for Theo Zinn, co.ed. (Leominster, 2006)
- 'Humour in Virgil', in Essays for Theo Zinn, co.ed. (Leominster, 2006)
- 'Origins of the Olympics', in Pindar's Poetry, Patrons and Festivals, edd. Hornblower and Morgan (Oxford, 2006)
- Pindar: The Complete Odes, co-ed. (Oxford, 2007)
- 'Darkness my Light: Enigmatic Ajax', in Studies in Ancient Greek Poetry Presented to M.L.West on his Seventieth Birthday, ed. P.Finglass (Oxford, 2007)
Stephen’s obituary in The Times Higher is accessible here.
His premature death was a terrible shock to his family, friends and professional colleagues. He continues to be missed greatly.
Page last modified on 14 jan 14 11:36