Reader in Psychiatry
I am a professor in intellectual disability in the Division of Psychiatry at UCL and honorary consultant Psychiatrist at the Camden Learning Disability Service.
One of my main research interests is in the evaluation of interventions in people with intellectual disabilities. Current research projects include a HTA funded multicentre cluster randomised trial of a positive behaviour support in people with intellectual disabilities and challenging behaviour, for which I am the Chief Investigator. I am also collaborating with colleagues from Glasgow University on a feasibility RCT of statins in dementia in people with Down syndrome, the department of Public Health (UCL) on a pilot RCT of an intervention for obesity, and with colleagues in addictions on a brief intervention for alcohol misuse. I have also completed trials on the evaluation of CBT for depression and anxiety in people with intellectual disabilities.
Other current or recent research projects in people with intellectual disabilities include research on dementia (with and without dementia), research on the impact of stigma on wellbeing, the uptake of health checks, and prescribing patterns of psychotropic medication in people with mental health problems of challenging behaviour.
I have over 150 publications comprising original research, opinion pieces and editorials, book chapters, conference abstracts and an edited book on psychiatric aspects of intellectual disability. I have supervised MSc and PhD students on projects relating to autism, stigma, dementia and population mental health. I lecture widely nationally and internationally. In addition, I have received a number of teaching awards: a Beacon project award for Public and Patient engagement (2010; 2014); ESCILTA teaching award (2011); and SLMS Teaching Innovation Fund Award (2013).
Other responsibilities include:
- Associate Director IASSIDD Academy (2014-)
- London Region NIHR RfPB funding panel (2014-2017)
- NICE Challenging Behaviour Guideline Development Group member (2013-2015)
- NICE Fellow (2011-14)
- Assistant Editor Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Developmental Disabilities
- Editorial Board Member Advances in Mental Health Intellectual Disability (2012-)
- External Examiner MSc King's College London (2012-2016)
- Finance Officer, Faculty of the Psychiatry of Learning Disabilities, RCPsych (2010-14)
Page last modified on 08 feb 15 14:09