- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics. Research seminar: Dr Vivienne Lo (UCL CCHH)
Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics. Research seminar: Dr Vivienne Lo (UCL CCHH)
Published: Mar 14, 2014 7:28:32 PM
China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
6th March 2014, panel discussion hosted by UCL’s China Centre for Health and Humanity and Centre for Transnational History and sponsored by UCL Grand Challenges (ii) and the UCL Institute for Human Rights.
Read all about it: Report by Dylan Brethour, PG History student. More...
Published: Mar 14, 2014 6:13:30 PM
In the context of the UCL initiative for the creation of a Chinese Medical Humanities, on the 22nd and 23rd of February the collaborate workshop (with Peking University [PKU] Institute of Medical Humanities and King's College London [KCL]) convened international experts to reflect on the use of film in teaching the Medical Humanities. More...
Published: Mar 4, 2014 4:59:57 PM
Published: Feb 25, 2014 1:17:25 AM
22–23 February 2013 More...
Published: Feb 6, 2014 3:13:23 PM
History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
14 January 2014
‘Symptoms, Patterns, Constellations: Divergent Genealogies of the Emergent Interface Between Systems Biology and Chinese Medicine’.
21 January 2014, 6pm for 6.15. Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, NW1 2BE (map).
Volker Scheid is Professor of East Asian Medicines at the School of Life Sciences, University of Westminster.
This event is part of the 2013-14 History of Pre-Modern Medicine seminar series, organised by a group of historians of medicine based at London universities and hosted by the Wellcome Library.
PROGRAMME FOR JANUARY-MARCH 2014
21 January, Volker Scheid (University of Westminster) ‘Symptoms, Patterns, Constellations: Divergent Genealogies of the Emergent Interface Between Systems Biology and Chinese Medicine’
4 February, Patrick Wallis (LSE) ‘The Transformation of Medicine in Early Modern Britain’
18 February, Anthony Cerulli (Hobart and William Smith Colleges) ‘Trouble with the Classics: Education Reform and the Cultivation of a Premodern Medical Tradition in Modern India’
4 March, Maria-Pia Donato (Università di Cagliari) ‘Ethics and etiquette at the deathbed in early modern medicine: a second look’
All the seminars take place in the Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, NW1 2BE (map) – just round the corner from UCL.
Doors open at 6pm prompt; seminars start at 6.15pm.
The seminars focus on pre-modern medicine, which is taken to cover European and non-European history before the 20th century (antiquity, medieval and early modern history, some elements of 19th-century medicine).
Organising Committee: Elma Brenner (Wellcome Library), Michael Brown (Roehampton), Elena Carrera (QMUL), Sandra Cavallo (RHUL), John Henderson (BirkbeckUL), Colin Jones (QMUL), William MacLehose (UCL, convenor), Anna Maerker (KCL), Christelle Rabier (LSE), Patrick Wallis (LSE), Ronit Yoeli-Tlalim (Goldsmiths).
Enquiries to Ross MacFarlane (Wellcome Library: R.MacFarlane@wellcome.ac.uk) or Dr Bill Maclehose (UCL: firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more details, see: http://blog.wellcomelibrary.org/2014/01/history-of-pre-modern-medicine-seminar-series-january-march-2014/.
Page last modified on 14 jan 14 14:08 by Penelope Barrett