- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
- #UCLfacesRACE: Eugenics@UCL
- Emetic remedies in Japanese Koiho 古方 medicine
- #UCLfacesRACE, Conversation 2: Why is my curriculum white?
- Daoist Cooking through the Four Seasons
- University of Westminster Contemporary China Centre Seminar
- Administrating Art, History, and Science in the Mongol Empire: Rashid al-Din and Bolad Chengxiang
- Thinking Chinese Conference (31/03–1/04 2015) 思華 · 華思 (UPDATE)
- Thinking Chinese Exhibition (31/03–12/05 2015)
- The Chinese Erhu during the First World War
- 5th Annual Chinese Visual Festival
- Call for Chinese-speaking choral singers!
- Lady Precious Stream
- Film and Discussion: When China Met Africa
- Hot and Numb! 2000 years of Sichuan pepper
- A unique opportunity to learn Chinese Sign Language at UCL!
- Medical Humanities in China – conference
- Isabella Bird (1831–1904): Photographic travels in China
- Thinking Chinese 思華 . 華思
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Professor Elisabeth Hsu
- International postgraduate summer school
- Di Lu Wins IASTAM Junior Scholar Essay Prize
- New Chinese Film + Director's Q&A
- Summer volunteering placements in rural China
- MA Chinese Health & Humanity Dissertation Conference 2016
- Chinoiseries – Art and Fashion
- Cross-Cultural Medical Humanities in a Digital World
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities: ten workshops
- PKU-UCL Cross-Cultural Medical Humanities
- Frontiers in Digital Health seminar
7–9 November 2016, UCL Institute of Advanced Studies, Common Ground, Ground Floor, South Wing, Wilkins Building, UCL. More...
Tuesday evenings during term-time, 5 November 2016 to 7 February 2017
We are delighted to announce the success of the recent UCL CCHH application for a Wellcome Trust Seed Award (PI: Vivienne Lo).
Panel seminar organised by Phoenix TV Art. 20 June 2016, 6.30 pm, Lydia & Manfred Gorvy Lecture Theatre, Dyson Building, Royal College of Art, 1 Hester Road, Battersea, SW11 4AN.
Wednesday 25 May, 2.15–5pm, Room 102, 23 Gordon Square.
Please come along to support our students and find out about their fascinating research! More...
History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
14 January 2014
‘Symptoms, Patterns, Constellations: Divergent Genealogies of the Emergent Interface Between Systems Biology and Chinese Medicine’.
21 January 2014, 6pm for 6.15. Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, NW1 2BE (map).
Volker Scheid is Professor of East Asian Medicines at the School of Life Sciences, University of Westminster.
This event is part of the 2013-14 History of Pre-Modern Medicine seminar series, organised by a group of historians of medicine based at London universities and hosted by the Wellcome Library.
PROGRAMME FOR JANUARY-MARCH 2014
21 January, Volker Scheid (University of Westminster) ‘Symptoms, Patterns, Constellations: Divergent Genealogies of the Emergent Interface Between Systems Biology and Chinese Medicine’
4 February, Patrick Wallis (LSE) ‘The Transformation of Medicine in Early Modern Britain’
18 February, Anthony Cerulli (Hobart and William Smith Colleges) ‘Trouble with the Classics: Education Reform and the Cultivation of a Premodern Medical Tradition in Modern India’
4 March, Maria-Pia Donato (Università di Cagliari) ‘Ethics and etiquette at the deathbed in early modern medicine: a second look’
All the seminars take place in the Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, NW1 2BE (map) – just round the corner from UCL.
Doors open at 6pm prompt; seminars start at 6.15pm.
The seminars focus on pre-modern medicine, which is taken to cover European and non-European history before the 20th century (antiquity, medieval and early modern history, some elements of 19th-century medicine).
Organising Committee: Elma Brenner (Wellcome Library), Michael Brown (Roehampton), Elena Carrera (QMUL), Sandra Cavallo (RHUL), John Henderson (BirkbeckUL), Colin Jones (QMUL), William MacLehose (UCL, convenor), Anna Maerker (KCL), Christelle Rabier (LSE), Patrick Wallis (LSE), Ronit Yoeli-Tlalim (Goldsmiths).
Enquiries to Ross MacFarlane (Wellcome Library: R.MacFarlane@wellcome.ac.uk) or Dr Bill Maclehose (UCL: email@example.com).
For more details, see: http://blog.wellcomelibrary.org/2014/01/history-of-pre-modern-medicine-seminar-series-january-march-2014/.
Page last modified on 14 jan 14 14:08 by Penelope Barrett