- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
- #UCLfacesRACE: Eugenics@UCL
- Emetic remedies in Japanese Koiho 古方 medicine
- #UCLfacesRACE, Conversation 2: Why is my curriculum white?
- Daoist Cooking through the Four Seasons
- University of Westminster Contemporary China Centre Seminar
Hong Kong as a Political Community: Sense of Belonging and Personal Expressions. Speaker: Professor Pang Laikwan, Discussants: Dr Shao Jiang, Tim Zihong Yue. Tuesday 18 Nov. 5.30-7.30pm. Boardroom, University of Westminster, 309 Regent Street, W1B 2HW More...
Published: Nov 15, 2014 3:47:45 PM
A practical workshop with Professor Qian Feng, Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, Wed 19 Nov 6–9pm, repeated on Sat 22 Nov 2:30–5:30pm. Includes a talk by Vivienne Lo. More...
Published: Nov 4, 2014 1:26:51 PM
Published: Oct 15, 2014 10:51:41 PM
Published: Oct 12, 2014 2:17:54 PM
Published: Oct 10, 2014 2:04:00 PM
Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
8 April 2013
Free tickets available from:
As a continuation of the UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity (CCHH) Festival of Film and the Body, we present The Sword Identity 倭寇的踪迹 (2011), directed by Xu Haofeng 徐浩峰, one of China’s cutting edge young directors, and writer and lecturer at Beijing Film Academy.
In the postmodern world of martial arts, Xu’s debut film turns his novella of the same name into a film that is ‘both a homage to and a comic deconstruction of the Chinese and Japanese martial arts traditions’ (Kraicer, Cinemascope). This is a beautifully shot epic which draws on earlier generations of martial arts films with wit and artistry. Illustrating the complexities of wuxia society, the film contains a visual analysis of the subtle dynamics of combat chivalry and simultaneously captures the philosophy behind the skill of the swordsman.
Page last modified on 08 apr 13 17:50 by Penelope Barrett