- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
- #UCLfacesRACE: Eugenics@UCL
- Emetic remedies in Japanese Koiho 古方 medicine
- #UCLfacesRACE, Conversation 2: Why is my curriculum white?
- Daoist Cooking through the Four Seasons
- University of Westminster Contemporary China Centre Seminar
- Administrating Art, History, and Science in the Mongol Empire: Rashid al-Din and Bolad Chengxiang
- Thinking Chinese Conference (31/03–1/04 2015) 思華 · 華思
- Thinking Chinese Exhibition (31/03–12/05 2015)
(London) Institute and UCL present a Gala
Fundraising Dinner in aid of Camden Chinese Community Centre.
Published: Feb 26, 2015 11:06:26 AM
Published: Feb 26, 2015 11:06:48 AM
Venue: South Cloisters, Wilkins Building,
Published: Feb 26, 2015 11:06:11 AM
Published: Jan 19, 2015 12:50:19 AM
Published: Nov 15, 2014 3:47:45 PM
Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
8 April 2013
Free tickets available from:
As a continuation of the UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity (CCHH) Festival of Film and the Body, we present The Sword Identity 倭寇的踪迹 (2011), directed by Xu Haofeng 徐浩峰, one of China’s cutting edge young directors, and writer and lecturer at Beijing Film Academy.
In the postmodern world of martial arts, Xu’s debut film turns his novella of the same name into a film that is ‘both a homage to and a comic deconstruction of the Chinese and Japanese martial arts traditions’ (Kraicer, Cinemascope). This is a beautifully shot epic which draws on earlier generations of martial arts films with wit and artistry. Illustrating the complexities of wuxia society, the film contains a visual analysis of the subtle dynamics of combat chivalry and simultaneously captures the philosophy behind the skill of the swordsman.
Page last modified on 08 apr 13 17:50 by Penelope Barrett