- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
Monday 23 June, 2–3.30pm, Room 105, 24 Gordon Square, UCL
The debate will bring together established academics and UCL graduate students to explore contemporary Taiwan-China relations in the light of the recent Sunflower protest movement (太阳花学运).
Published: Jun 10, 2014 3:48:29 PM
Published: May 26, 2014 3:04:08 PM
Published: May 13, 2014 4:14:02 PM
Published: May 8, 2014 3:26:54 PM
Published: Apr 25, 2014 10:59:52 AM
Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
15 May 2013
Friday 24th May 2013, 9:30am – 5:00pm, Maplethorpe Lecture Theatre, UCL School of Pharmacy, 29-39 Brunswick Square, WC1N 1AX.
A one-day international conference.
This UCL conference is sponsored by the British Society for the History of Science and London BioNat. It explores Europe’s fascination with spices as both food and medicine and the role of spices in the advancement of global scientific knowledge and medical practices, from ancient times to today. Vivienne Lo (UCL CCHH) and Di Lu (UCL PhD Cand.) will be presenting on 'Scent and Synaesthesia' in China.
Full programme available at
9:30am – 5:00pm
Registration opens at 9.am
'The Spice Trade in History: Forming a Global Network of Medical Cultures'
Paul Freedman (Keynote)
Chester D. Tripp Professor of History, Yale
Marijke van der Veen
Professor of Archaeology, University of Leicester
Stefan Halikowski Smith
Lecturer in History, Swansea University
Professor of History, Philips-Universitat Marburg
and President of the German Society for the History of Pharmacy
'Spices in Food and Medical Research: From Kitchen to Apothecary and Beyond'
PhD candidate, Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health (LCIRAH)/UCL School of Pharmacy
Convener of UCL China Centre for Humanity and Health and Lecturer and Di Lu, PhD candidate, UCL
Director of the Kew Innovation Unit, Deputy Keeper and Heads of Sustainable Uses of Plants Group, Royal Botanic Gardens-Kew
Michael Heinrich (Keynote)
Professor of Pharmacognosy
and Head of the Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, UCL School of Pharmacy
CALL FOR POSTERS: The conference will include a poster exhibit throughout the day. We invite abstracts from students and researchers working in an area of science, culture, history, language or literature relevant to the conference’s theme. This includes but is not limited to: botany and pharmacy; economic and cultural history; history of science, medicine, and technology; anthropology; Chinese and other Asian studies; sociology; food and nutrition studies; and biomedical and natural science research. If you would like to present a poster please submit a poster abstract (<350 words) at the time of registering on EventBrite.
REGISTRATION IS FREE – BUT SPACE IS LIMITED.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, AND TO REGISTER, PLEASE VISIT: www.ucl.ac.uk/spicesandmedicine
Conference organised by UCL SoP Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy in association with UCL School of European Languages, Culture and Society –
Page last modified on 15 may 13 16:36 by Penelope Barrett