- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
- #UCLfacesRACE: Eugenics@UCL
- Emetic remedies in Japanese Koiho 古方 medicine
- #UCLfacesRACE, Conversation 2: Why is my curriculum white?
- Daoist Cooking through the Four Seasons
- University of Westminster Contemporary China Centre Seminar
- Administrating Art, History, and Science in the Mongol Empire: Rashid al-Din and Bolad Chengxiang
A seminar presented by Vivienne Lo (UCL). Research collaboration: Wang Yidan 王一丹 (Peking University) and Persis Berlekamp (University of Chicago). Thursday 5 February, 5.30pm. SAS room 243, 2nd floor, South Block, Senate House.
Published: Jan 19, 2015 12:50:19 AM
Published: Nov 15, 2014 3:47:45 PM
A practical workshop with Professor Qian Feng, Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, Wed 19 Nov 6–9pm, repeated on Sat 22 Nov 2:30–5:30pm. Includes a talk by Vivienne Lo. More...
Published: Nov 4, 2014 1:26:51 PM
Published: Oct 15, 2014 10:51:41 PM
Published: Oct 12, 2014 2:17:54 PM
Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
4 March 2014
In the context of the UCL initiative for the creation of a Chinese Medical Humanities, on the 22nd and 23rd of February the collaborate workshop (with Peking University [PKU] Institute of Medical Humanities and King's College London [KCL]) convened international experts to reflect on the use of film in teaching the Medical Humanities.
Building on the experience of an existing UCL/PKU course on Film and the Body taught together with experts across the three institutions, we explored the potential of film for speaking to the challenges of the discipline. The workshop anticipates a larger conference to be held across the institutions involved, looking at the future of the teaching of Medical Humanities in and about China and what it can contribute to the wider field. It is envisaged that the proceedings of both workshop and conference will generate publications and online open access teaching materials.
See what people said….
Hongwei Bao 包宏伟, University of Nottingham, 'Why Chinese Medical Humanities?'
Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
Saturday 22nd February, Garwood Lecture Theatre UCL
9am Welcome Address
9.15–1.00: Old Age and Dying
Patrizia Liberati (PKU/Italian Embassy) presents Gaosu tamen, wo cheng baihe qu le 告诉他们，我乘白鹤去了 (Fly with the Crane), directed by Li Ruijun 李睿珺, 2012.
Michael Clarke (KCL) presents Feiyue laoren yuan飞越老人院 (Full Circle: no home for old men), directed by Zhang Yang 张扬, 2011.
Guo Liping (PKU) presents Sha sheng杀生 (Design of Death), directed by Guan Hu 管虎, 2011.
2.00–3.30 Medical Hagiographies
Marta Hanson (John Hopkins) on Wu Youke
Vivienne Lo (UCL) on Bianque and Hua Tuo
Penelope Barrett (UCL) on Li Shizhen
Lai Lili (PKU) presents Suan Ming 算命 (Fortune Teller), directed by Xu Tong, 2010.
Patrizia Liberati presents Gan qing dong wu 感情動物 ( Sentimental Animal) written and directed by Quan Wu, 2011.
6.00: The Comodified Body: Prostitution in Amoy
Patrizia Liberati presents Chang’e嫦娥 (Sauna on the Moon), directed by Zou Peng, 2011. This film has not passed the Chinese censors and is shown with special permission of the directors and distributors.
Dinner for Participants 9pm @ China City, Upper Woburn Place (just north of Russell Square)
Sunday 23rd February, Garwood Lecture Theatre UCL
9.00 – 12.30: Pathologising the Male Body
Derek Hird (U. of Westminster) presents Donggong xigong 東宮西宮 (East Palace, West Palace), directed by Zhang Yuan.
Howard Chiang (U. of Warwick) presents on剑雨 Jianyu (Reign of Assassins), 2010, directed by John Woo and 龍門飛甲 Longmen feijia (The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate), directed by Tsui Hark and Jacob Cheung, 2011.
Hongwei Bao (U. of Nottingham) presents Shenglai tongzhi 生来同志 (Cures that Kill), directed by Xiaogang Wei, 2011.
12.30– 1.30 Acupuncture Anaesthesia
Leon Rocha (Cambridge University) presents Wuying deng xia song yinzhen无影灯下颂银针 (Song of Acupuncture Treatment), directed by Sang Hu 桑弧 (1916-2004), 1974 with reference to Chung Kuo 中國 (China) directed by Michelangelo Antonioni, 1974.
2.30-3.15 Hong Kong's James Bond: How a Chinese Male Gynaecologist and Female Hua Tuo Play with Chinese Medicine and Masculinity
Marta Hanson presents Tainei mishen linglingfa大內密探零零發 (Forbidden City Cops lit. the Imperial Secret Agent 008), directed by Stephen Chow 1996 (Hong Kong) and Guochan linglingqi國產零零漆 (From Beijing with Love/lit. Made in China: 008), directed by Stephen Chow, Anita Yuen and Law Ka-Ying, 1994.
3.15 – 4.15 The Forensic Gaze
Vivienne Lo presents Wuxia 武俠 (Dragon), directed by Peter Chan, 2011.
4.15-5.15 Student Presentations
5.15 Roundtable: On the role of film in translating the MHs into practice
Chair: Asher Tlalim (NFTS)
Page last modified on 04 mar 14 14:55 by Penelope Barrett