- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese film – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, 2011
Published: Apr 14, 2014 10:42:42 PM
To celebrate the end of lectures and UCL’s first UG course in Ancient and Medieval Chinese History, twelve talented students set out to emulate the Seven Scholars of the Bamboo Grove. Now read on...
Published: Apr 11, 2014 11:33:19 AM
The final lecture in the SOAS East Asia Art & Archaeology Research Seminar series will be given by Dr Vivienne Lo of UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity. She will present her work on Chinese medical illustrations.
Time: Friday, 21st March 2014, 3 pm.
Place: Room B111 (1st floor), Brunei Gallery, SOAS. All welcome.
Published: Mar 14, 2014 7:28:32 PM
China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
6th March 2014, panel discussion hosted by UCL’s China Centre for Health and Humanity and Centre for Transnational History and sponsored by UCL Grand Challenges (ii) and the UCL Institute for Human Rights.
Read all about it: Report by Dylan Brethour, PG History student. More...
Published: Mar 14, 2014 6:13:30 PM
In the context of the UCL initiative for the creation of a Chinese Medical Humanities, on the 22nd and 23rd of February the collaborate workshop (with Peking University [PKU] Institute of Medical Humanities and King's College London [KCL]) convened international experts to reflect on the use of film in teaching the Medical Humanities. More...
Published: Mar 4, 2014 4:59:57 PM
China in Latin America
2 April 2013
21st May 2013, 10am-5pm, Room 103, Institute of the Americas, 51 Gordon Square, London, WC1H 0PQ.
A one-day international conference.
Jointly convened by UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity and UCL Centre for Transnational History, and kindly supported by UCL Institute of the Americas and UCL Grand Challenges - Intercultural Interaction.
Contact: Samantha Pickett
(UCL History): firstname.lastname@example.org
This conference brings together specialists working on important aspects of China’s involvement with Latin America. The programme will begin with a history of the Chinese diaspora focussing on the different patterns of migration taken by Chinese workers on their journey to the Americas. Against this background, speakers will then examine Sino-Latin American diplomacy in the twentieth century. This theme will be analysed through the two sides’ respective political economies and through the impact of China’s investments on emerging markets. Health Diplomacy offers a final perspective through which to trace China in Latin America.
Axel Körner (UCL Centre for Transnational History)
Brazil and China: New Opportunities and Dilemmas
Felipe Krause (Head of Energy, International Development and
Economic Affairs, Brazilian Embassy, London)
Keywords, Concepts and Rhetorics: China's Framing of Latin
Julia Strauss (SOAS)
Chinese Outward Investments to Emerging Markets. Evidence from Latin America
Gaston Fornes (University of Bristol)
The Chinese in Latin America and the Caribbean: An Historical Overview from the Sixteenth Century (late Ming) to the Twenty-First Century.
Evelyn Hu-Dehart (Brown University)
China’s Health Diplomacy
Vivienne Lo (UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity), Paul Kadetz
(University of Leiden)
Roundtable: China in Latin America
Chair: Rhys Jenkins (University of East Anglia)
Chairs: Thomas Rath (UCL History), Paulo Drinot (UCL Institute of the Americas)
Download a programme here.
Page last modified on 02 apr 13 19:04 by Penelope Barrett