- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, 29/11: Woman Demon Human 人鬼情
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- Chinese film evening, 10/01/2017: Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
- #UCLfacesRACE: Eugenics@UCL
- Emetic remedies in Japanese Koiho 古方 medicine
- #UCLfacesRACE, Conversation 2: Why is my curriculum white?
- Daoist Cooking through the Four Seasons
- University of Westminster Contemporary China Centre Seminar
- Administrating Art, History, and Science in the Mongol Empire: Rashid al-Din and Bolad Chengxiang
- Thinking Chinese Conference (31/03–1/04 2015) 思華 · 華思 (UPDATE)
- Thinking Chinese Exhibition (31/03–12/05 2015)
- The Chinese Erhu during the First World War
- 5th Annual Chinese Visual Festival
- Call for Chinese-speaking choral singers!
- Lady Precious Stream
- Film and Discussion: When China Met Africa
- Hot and Numb! 2000 years of Sichuan pepper
- A unique opportunity to learn Chinese Sign Language at UCL!
- Medical Humanities in China – conference
- Isabella Bird (1831–1904): Photographic travels in China
- Thinking Chinese 思華 . 華思
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Professor Elisabeth Hsu
- International postgraduate summer school
- Di Lu Wins IASTAM Junior Scholar Essay Prize
- New Chinese Film + Director's Q&A
- Summer volunteering placements in rural China
- MA Chinese Health & Humanity Dissertation Conference 2016
- Chinoiseries – Art and Fashion
- Cross-Cultural Medical Humanities in a Digital World
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities: ten workshops
- PKU-UCL Cross-Cultural Medical Humanities
- Frontiers in Digital Health seminar
- Exhibition + Lecture + Student workshop
- PKU scholarship information event
- Chinese film evening, 17/01/2017: Inner Senses (Yidu kongjian 异度空间), dir. Law Chi-leung (Luo Zhiliang) 罗志良, 2002.
- Sense and Sensation Seminar: Sense and Sensuality in Ancient China
- Chinese film evening, 24/01/2017: East Palace, West Palace 东宫西宫 (1996).
- Peking University Yenching scholarship deadline 31 January 2017
- Scholarships to study Chinese in China – deadline 13 Feb, 9am
- CELEBRATE CHINESE NEW YEAR!
- Chinese film evening, 31/01/2017: For Fun 找乐 (1993)
- The Doctor-Patient Relationship in Contemporary China
- Chinese film evening, 7/02/2017: In Love We Trust 左右 (2008)
- Dumplings 饺子 (2004)
- Abortion in China
- Institute of Digital Health seminar
Humanoid robots as (indirect) tools for digital health in autism
Time: 20 February, 2:30–3:30pm
Place: Room G01, 66-72 Gower Street
Speaker: Alyssa Alcorn (CRAE) More...
Our New Year bonus film, by Hong Kong iconoclast director Fruit Chan 陈果, is 'a sinister story of diet, deception and death'.
Time: Wednesday 8 February, 7pm
Place: IAS Common Ground, South Wing, Wilkins Building More...
Family drama In love we trust (aka Left Right), directed and scripted by Sixth Generation film maker Wang Xiaoshuai 王小帅, hinges on the conception of a 'saviour sibling' for a child diagnosed with leukaemia. The screening will be followed by a conversation between bioethicist Prof. Cong Yali 丛亚丽 (PKU) and philosopher and ethicist James Wilson (UCL) on the issues raised by the film. More...
China Exchange 中国站 has a great programme of events to welcome in the Year of the Chicken. Highlights include a provocative 'short form debate evening' featuring CCHH's Vivienne Lo (Wed 1 Feb, 6.30pm) plus a documentary film-making challenge in partnership with London Documentary Network', plus a Silk and Bamboo 丝竹报春 concert with pipa virtuoso Chen Yu and flautist Liu Menglin... More...
The first film in 6th generation director Ning Ying's wryly humorous Beijing Trilogy, For Fun (Zhao le 找乐) tells the story of a group of retired Beijingers who set up a Peking Opera Group. More...
China in Latin America
2 April 2013
21st May 2013, 10am-5pm, Room 103, Institute of the Americas, 51 Gordon Square, London, WC1H 0PQ.
A one-day international conference.
Jointly convened by UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity and UCL Centre for Transnational History, and kindly supported by UCL Institute of the Americas and UCL Grand Challenges - Intercultural Interaction.
Contact: Samantha Pickett
(UCL History): email@example.com
This conference brings together specialists working on important aspects of China’s involvement with Latin America. The programme will begin with a history of the Chinese diaspora focussing on the different patterns of migration taken by Chinese workers on their journey to the Americas. Against this background, speakers will then examine Sino-Latin American diplomacy in the twentieth century. This theme will be analysed through the two sides’ respective political economies and through the impact of China’s investments on emerging markets. Health Diplomacy offers a final perspective through which to trace China in Latin America.
Axel Körner (UCL Centre for Transnational History)
Brazil and China: New Opportunities and Dilemmas
Felipe Krause (Head of Energy, International Development and
Economic Affairs, Brazilian Embassy, London)
Keywords, Concepts and Rhetorics: China's Framing of Latin
Julia Strauss (SOAS)
Chinese Outward Investments to Emerging Markets. Evidence from Latin America
Gaston Fornes (University of Bristol)
The Chinese in Latin America and the Caribbean: An Historical Overview from the Sixteenth Century (late Ming) to the Twenty-First Century.
Evelyn Hu-Dehart (Brown University)
China’s Health Diplomacy
Vivienne Lo (UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity), Paul Kadetz
(University of Leiden)
Roundtable: China in Latin America
Chair: Rhys Jenkins (University of East Anglia)
Chairs: Thomas Rath (UCL History), Paulo Drinot (UCL Institute of the Americas)
Download a programme here.
Page last modified on 02 apr 13 19:04 by Penelope Barrett