- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
- #UCLfacesRACE: Eugenics@UCL
- Emetic remedies in Japanese Koiho 古方 medicine
- #UCLfacesRACE, Conversation 2: Why is my curriculum white?
- Daoist Cooking through the Four Seasons
- University of Westminster Contemporary China Centre Seminar
- Administrating Art, History, and Science in the Mongol Empire: Rashid al-Din and Bolad Chengxiang
- Thinking Chinese Conference (31/03–1/04 2015) 思華 · 華思 (UPDATE)
- Thinking Chinese Exhibition (31/03–12/05 2015)
Venue: South Cloisters, Wilkins Building,
Published: Feb 26, 2015 11:06:11 AM
(London) Institute and UCL present a Gala
Fundraising Dinner in aid of Camden Chinese Community Centre.
Published: Feb 26, 2015 11:06:26 AM
Published: Feb 26, 2015 11:06:00 AM
Published: Jan 19, 2015 12:50:19 AM
Published: Nov 15, 2014 3:47:45 PM
11 September 2012
Out now: Perfect Bodies: Sports, Medicine and Immortality Ancient and Modern, edited with an introductory essay by CCHH Director Vivienne Lo (London: British Museum Research Publications, 2012).
Based on an interdisciplinary conference convened by Dr Lo at the British Museum in the run-up to the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics, this book explores diverse traditions of training and perfecting the body and soul in East and West, and traces changing ideas about how exercise can contribute to health, long life and even the avoidance of death.
It brings together papers by eminent academics from many fields, including historians, anthropologists, sociologists and public health experts, which collectively challenge orthodox notions of the perfect body and its pursuit.
The book is richly illustrated with images from the British Museum’s own collections and other culturally and historically significant archive material.
Page last modified on 10 sep 12 18:49 by Penelope Barrett