- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
Thursday, 20 June 2013 from 11:30 to 14:00 · Wilkins Garden Room (Bernard Katz Building).
Find out more about the unique UCL MA in Chinese Health and Humanity. Meet staff and current students. Lunch will be provided. More...
Published: Jun 10, 2013 4:27:55 PM
Published: May 15, 2013 4:56:34 PM
Published: Apr 8, 2013 6:17:45 PM
Published: Apr 2, 2013 7:09:49 PM
Published: Mar 6, 2013 1:30:04 PM
11 September 2012
Out now: Perfect Bodies: Sports, Medicine and Immortality Ancient and Modern, edited with an introductory essay by CCHH Director Vivienne Lo (London: British Museum Research Publications, 2012).
Based on an interdisciplinary conference convened by Dr Lo at the British Museum in the run-up to the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics, this book explores diverse traditions of training and perfecting the body and soul in East and West, and traces changing ideas about how exercise can contribute to health, long life and even the avoidance of death.
It brings together papers by eminent academics from many fields, including historians, anthropologists, sociologists and public health experts, which collectively challenge orthodox notions of the perfect body and its pursuit.
The book is richly illustrated with images from the British Museum’s own collections and other culturally and historically significant archive material.
Page last modified on 10 sep 12 18:49 by Penelope Barrett