CHIME Study Modules
Taught Graduate Modules
CHIME offers the following taught modules (15 credits each), which may also be available to students from other departments and can be taken individually as continuing education/professional development. For an overview of dates, see the CHIME module calendar.
- Principles of Health Informatics explores how improving the ways in which we use data, information and knowledge can lead to more effective healthcare and better health.
- Research Methods in Healthcare enables students to critically appraise and use evaluation and research evidence in healthcare.
- Information Systems in Healthcare provides an introduction to the role and architecture of information systems in modern healthcare environments.
- Shared Care & Electronic Health Records covers the challenge of capturing rich patient histories in a computable form, and the latest global developments and standards to enable lifelong electronic health records to be integrated from disparate systems.
- Patient Safety & Clinical Risk examines the relationship between patient safety and informatics and explores the function and application of the risk management process.
- eLearning in Healthcare looks at the educational, technological and organisational issues related to the design, delivery and evaluation of online educational resources for patients, students, health care professionals and other NHS staff.
- Clinical Knowledge & Decision Making explores how improved knowledge management can improve decision-making in both the clinical and policy contexts.
- eHealth: Patients and the Internet studies the use of information and communication technology to improve or enable personal and public healthcare.
- New for 2012-13: Using Information in Healthcare Management deals with the evaluation, analysis and presentation of healthcare data to inform decisions in the management of healthcare organizations.
- Information Law & Governance in Clinical Practice considers ethico-legal issues pertaining to healthcare information in contemporary clinical practice.
- Healthcare Quality & Evidence Based Practice confronts the big question of how scientific evidence can be used to improve the quality of healthcare.
Supervised Graduate Modules