Professor Willie Motherwell FRS FRSE
Alexander Williamson Professor of Chemistry
Organic Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Professor Willie Motherwell
Address: Department of Chemistry, UCL
Phone No: +44 (0)20 7679 7533
Fax No: +44 (0)20 7679 7524
Research areas of interest include:
- Organic synthesis
- Preparative Radical Reactions
- Metal Catalysed Reactions
- Organozinc Carbenoids
- Selective Fluorination
- Molecular Recognition and Artificial Enzymes
Research within the Motherwell group addresses a wide variety of fundamental questions from the invention of new and unusual reactions in organometallic and free radical chemistry through to molecular recognition, non covalent interactions and artificial enzymes.
- W.B.Motherwell, J. Moise, A.E. Aliev , M. Nic, S.J .Coles, P.N .Horton, M.B. Hursthouse, G. Chessari, C.A. Hunter and J.G. Vinter,Some Studies of Noncovalent Functional Group – Arene Interactions.,Angew Chem. Int. Ed n, 2007 46(41) 7823-7826 DOI:10.1002/anie.200701463.
- W.B.Motherwell and A. J.Whitehead , A Convenient One-Pot Aza-Annulation of Primary Amines, Acryloyl Chloride and Electron – Deficient Allenes,. P. J. Gray, Synlett, 2007, 431- 434.
- W. B. Motherwell, G.Bégis, D. E. Cladingboel, L. Jerome and T. D. Sheppard , Observations on the direct amidocyclopropanation of alkenes using organozinc carbenoids, Tetrahedron, 2007 63 6462-6476
- M. Freiria, A.J. Whitehead, D.A. Tocher, W.B. Motherwell, Further observations on the rhodium(I)- catalysed tandem hydrosilylation-intramolecular aldol reaction. Tetrahedron, 2004, 60, 2673-2692
- W.B.Motherwell and L. Storey, Some studies on nucleophilic trifluoromethylation using the shelf-stable trifluoromethylacetophenone-N,N-dimethyltrimethylsilylamine adduct. Journal of Fluor. Chem., 2005, 126,491-498. Special Issue dedicated to Professor R. Chambers.