Dr Wendy Brown
Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics
Dr Wendy Brown
Address: Department of Chemistry, UCL
Phone No: +44 (0)20 7679 4688
Fax No: +44 (0)20 7679 7463
Research areas of interest include:
- Surface science
- Infrared spectroscopy
- Low temperatures
- Adsorption energetics
- Reactions on surfaces
We are interested in studying adsorption, desorption and reaction processes which take place on a range of different surfaces. Our current experiments range from investigations of the adsorption, formation and processing of interstellar ices on cosmic dust grains to studies of catalytic reactions on metal surfaces on an ultra-fast timescale using laser spectroscopic techniques.
- D.J. Burke and W.A. Brown, "Ice in space: surface science investigations of the thermal desorption of model interstellar ices on dust grain analogue surfaces", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.12 (2010) 5947-5969.
- D.A. Adriaens, T.P.M. Goumans, C.R.A. Catlow and W.A. Brown, "Computational study of carbonyl sulphide formation on model interstellar dust grains", J. Phys. Chem. C114 (2010) 1892-1900.
- E.L. Wilson and W.A. Brown, "Low pressure RAIRS studies of model catalysts", J. Phys. Chem. C114 (2010) 6879-6893.
- S.D. Green, A.S. Bolina, R. Chen, M.P. Collings, W.A. Brown & M.R.S. McCoustra, "Applying laboratory thermal desorption data in an interstellar context: sublimation of methanol thin films", Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 398 (2009) 357-367.
- T.P.M. Goumans, C.R.A. Catlow and W.A. Brown, "Catalysis of addition reactions by a negatively charged silica surface site on a dust grain" J. Phys. Chem. C112 (2008) 15419-15422..
- BA Natural Sciences 1991. King's College, Cambridge University.
- PhD 1995. Chemistry Department, University of Cambridge. Title of thesis "Low temperature infrared emission and absorption spectroscopy for studies of chemisorption" Supervisor, Professor D A. King.
- 1994-1995. Research assistant in the Chemistry Department at Cambridge University.
- 1995 - 1998. Research fellow at Peterhouse, Cambridge.
- 1998 -2004. Lecturer in Physical Chemistry at UCL.
- 2004 - 2007. Senior Lecturer in Physical Chemistry at UCL.
- 2007 - date. Reader in Physical Chemistry at UCL.