Prof Jim Anderson
Organic Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Alexander Williamson Professor of Chemistry
Prof. Jim Anderson
Address: Room 331, Department of Chemistry, UCL
Phone No: +44 (0)20 7679 5585
Fax No: +44 (0)20 7679 7463
Research areas of interest include:
- Organic Synthesis
- Synthetic Methodology
Research in my laboratory covers a broad portfolio of projects that combine contemporary synthetic organic chemistry methodology with highly adventurous, blue sky research. The basic theme in all of these projects is inventing fundamentally different ways of creating new organic structures in a stereocontrolled and, if applicable, catalytic fashion. This encompasses the development of new reaction methodology which is showcased in the synthesis of biologically active natural and non natural products.
- An Enantioselective Tandem Reduction/Nitro-Mannich Reaction of Nitroalkenes using a Simple Thiourea Organocatalyst Anderson, J.C.; Koovits, P.J. Chem. Sci. 2013, 4, 2897-901
- The Reductive nitro-Mannich Route for the Synthesis of 1,2-Diamine Containing Indolines and Tetrahydroquinolines Anderson, J.C.; Noble, A.; Tocher, D.A. J. Org. Chem. 2012, 77, 6703-27. Feature article.
- Stereoselective Synthesis of Densely Functionalised Pyrroloidin-2-ones by a Conjugate Addition/Nitro-Mannich/Lactamisation Reaction Anderson, J.C.; Horsfall, L.R.; Kalogirou, A.S.; Mills, M.R.; Stepney, G.J.; Tizzard, G.J. J. Org. Chem. 2012, 77, 6186-98.
- Enantioselective Conjugate Addition Nitro-Mannich Reactions: Solvent Controlled Synthesis of Acyclic anti- and syn-β-nitroamines with 3 Contiguous Stereocenters Anderson, J.C.; Stepney, G.J.; Mills, M.R.; Horsfall, L.R.; Blake, A.J.; Lewis, W. J. Org. Chem. 2011, 76, 1961-71, Feature article and front cover.
- Synthesis of Ureas from Titanium Imido Complexes using CO2 as a C-1 Reagent at Ambient Temperature and Pressure Anderson, J.C.; Bou Moreno, R. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2012, 10, 1334-8. Inside front cover.
- March 2013 - present: Alexander Williamson Professor of Chemistry, University College London.
- April 2009 - Feb 2013: Professor of Organic Chemistry, University College London.
- Jan 2003 - Mar 2009: Professor of Chemistry, University of Nottingham.
- Sept. 1999 - Dec 2002: Reader and EPSRC Advanced Fellow in Organic Chemistry. University of Nottingham
- Oct. 1998 - Aug. 1999: Senior Lecturer and EPSRC Advanced Fellow in Organic Chemistry. University of Sheffield
- Sept. 1993 - Sept. 1998: Lecturer in Organic Chemistry. University of Sheffield
- Oct. 1991 - Aug. 1993: SERC/NATO postdoctoral research fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, USA
- Oct. 1990 - Sept. 1991: The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 postdoctoral research fellow, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London
- Oct. 1987 - Sept. 1990: PhD DIC 'The Synthesis of Insect Antifeedants' under the supervision of Professor S.V. Ley, Imperial College.
- Oct. 1990 awarded DIC and Edmund White research prize (Imperial College)
- Oct. 1984 - July 1987: Imperial College BSc (Hons) ARCS Chemistry (I) part undertaken on exchange at the ETH, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2006: Novartis Chemistry Lectureship
- 2002: Pfizer Academic Award for Chemistry
- 1999: SCI Young Chemist Award
- 1998: Zeneca Research Award in Organic Chemistry
- 1997: GlaxoWellcome award for Innovative Organic Chemistry
- 1990: Edmund White research prize for excellence in PhD research
- 1987: Neil Arnott prize for the top chemistry undergraduate of the University of London
- 1987: Governors' prize for the top chemistry undergraduate of Imperial College