Professor Giuseppe Battaglia
Professor Giuseppe Battaglia
PA to Professor Battaglia firstname.lastname@example.org
- Biomedical Imaging
- Infection Immunology & Inflammation
- Stem Cells & Regenerative Medicine
I'm interested in research problems that require a considerable understanding of biology to tackle clinical challenges via the development of new physical tools. We approach this by studying the specific design rules behind inter/intra molecular interactions and self-assembly of soft matter systems, often taking inspiration from biological systems such as cells and viruses. We subsequently translate these rules into the engineering of nanostructured biomaterials. This involves the detailed biological and pharmacological evaluation of these novel functional polymers for applications that range from drug and gene delivery, diagnostic, to cell and tissue engineering.
- Click here for more information about our research
- Pearson, R. T., Battaglia, G., Warren, N. J., Armes, S. P., & Lewis, A. L. (2013). Effect of pH and temperature on PMPC-PDPA copolymer self-assembly. Macromolecules, 46 (4), 1400-1407. doi:10.1021/ma302228m
- Pegoraro, C., Cecchin, D., Gracia, L. S., Warren, N., Madsen, J., Armes, S. P., . . . Battaglia, G. (2013). Enhanced drug delivery to melanoma cells using PMPC-PDPA polymersomes. Cancer Letters, 334 (2), 328-337.
- Engler, A., Chirasatitsin, S., Viwanathan, P., & Battaglia, G. (2012). Adhesive heterogeneity within the stem cell niche promotes differentiation. GLYCOBIOLOGY, 22 (11), 1587-1588.
- Viswanathan, P., Chirasatitsin, S., Ngamkham, K., Engler, A. J., & Battaglia, G. (2012). Cell instructive microporous scaffolds through interface engineering. J Am Chem Soc, 134 (49), 20103-20109. doi:10.1021/ja308523f
- Viswanathan, P., Battaglia, G., Chirasatitsin, S., Engler, A., & Reilly, G. (2011). 3D cell instructive scaffolds to direct stem cell fate. Technical Proceedings of the 2011 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2011, 3, 256-259.
- Warren, N. J., Madsen, J., Armes, S. P., Canton, I., Battaglia, G., & Lewis, A. L. (2011). A non-toxic cellular staining agent based on fluorescently labeled poly[2-(methacryloyloxy)ethyl phosphorylcholine]. Technical Proceedings of the 2011 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2011, 3, 344-347.
- Pearson, R., Warren, N. J., Battaglia, G., SPArmes, & ALLewis. (2011). Controlling pH responsive polymersome assembly.Technical Proceedings of the 2011 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2011, 1, 588-591.
A full list of publications can be found here
2013- present Chair of Molecular Bionics, Dept of Chemistry and Div. Infection and Immunity, University College London, UK
2010-2013 Chair of Synthetic Biology, Dept of Biomedical Science, The University of Sheffield, UK
2009-2010 Senior Lecturer in Bionanotechnology (Associate Professor), Dept of Biomedical Science, The University of Sheffield, UK
2006-2009 Lecturer in Bionanotechnology (Assistant Professor), Dept of Material Science and Engineering, The University of Sheffield, UK
2001-2002 Research Process Engineer, Imperial Chemical Industries, UK