Prof Derek Tocher
Materials and Inorganic Chemistry
Prof Derek Tocher
Address: Department of Chemistry, UCL
Phone No: +44 (0)20 7679 4709
Fax No: +44 (0)20 7679 7463
Research areas of interest include:
- X-ray Crystallography
The Tocher group collaborates in the area of X-ray crystallography across a wide range of chemistry, from conformational studies of flexible organic molecules to characterisation of new inorganic and organometallic compounds with potenital applications in catalysis and materials chemistry. Of particular interest is the study of polymorphism, work carried out in conjunction with computational chemists with a view to gaining an full understanding of the factors controlling the crystallization process.
- Braun, D. E., Tocher, D. A., Price, S. L., Bhardwaj, R. M., Florence, A. J. (2013). Complex polymorphic system of gallic acid - Five monohydrates, three anhydrates, and over 20 solvates. Crystal Growth and Design 13(1), 19-23 doi:10.1021/cg301506x.
- Braun, D. E., Tocher, D. A., Price, S. L., Griesser, U. J. (2012). The Complexity of Hydration of Phloroglucinol: A Comprehensive Structural and Thermodynamic Characterization. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B 116(13), 3961-3972. doi:10.1021/jp211948q. AuthorURL
- Mohamed, S., Tocher, D. A., Price, S. L. (2011). Computational prediction of salt and cocrystal structures-Does a proton position matter? INT J PHARMACEUT 418(2), 187-198 doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2011.03.063.
- Braun, D. E., Karamertzanis, P. G., Arlin, J. B., Florence, A. J., Kahlenberg, V., Tocher, D. A., Griesser, U. J., Price, S. L. (2011). Solid-State Forms of beta-Resorcylic Acid: How Exhaustive Should a Polymorph Screen Be? CRYST GROWTH DES 11(1), 210-220 doi:10.1021/cg101162a.
- Salt or Co-crystal? A new series of crystal structures formed from simple pyridines and carboxylic acids.S. Mohamed, D.A. Tocher, M. Vickers, P.G. Karamertzanis and S.L. Price, Cryst. Grth. & Design., (2009), 9, 2881-2889.
- A computationally inspired investigation of the solid forms of (R)-1-phenylethylammonium-(S)-2-phenylbutyrate.K.D. Antoniadis, E. D'Oria, P.G. Karamertzanis, D.A. Tocher, A.J. Florence, A.G. Jones, S.L. Price, Chirality, (2010), 22, 447-455.
- 1980 B.Sc. Hons (1st Class) University of Edinburgh
- 1983 Ph.D. University of Edinburgh (Supervisor Dr. Tony Stephenson)
- 1983-84 PDRA Texas A&M University (with Prof. F. A. Cotton)
- 1984-1993 Lecturer University College London
- 1993-2006 Reader University College London
- 2006- Professor of Inorganic Chemistry University College London