1881 New Lab

1881 Plan of the new Chemistry Laboratory at UCL

In 1881, the North and South wings of the college, which were on the original plans, were at last built, and Chemistry moved into accommodation in the North Wing, which now houses the Slade School.

The teaching laboratory is shown as an engraving and as a photograph below. The engraving makes it look more like a cathedral than a laboratory. The students called the alcoves in which they worked, "horse-boxes".

In 1881, the North and South wings of the college, which were on the original plans, were at last built, and Chemistry moved into accommodation in the North Wing, which now houses the Slade School.The teaching laboratory is shown as an engraving and as a photograph below. The engraving makes it look more like a cathedral than a laboratory. The students called the alcoves in which they worked, "horse-boxes".

Etching of Teaching Laboratory
Etching of Teaching Laboratory
Photograph of Teaching Laboratory
Photograph of the Teaching Laboratory
A picture of the horse boxes
Another view of the horseboxes.