Centre for European Studies
Introductory and background reading
- Georg Simmel, ‘The metropolis and mental life’ in The Blackwell City Reader ed. by Gary Bridge and Sophie Watson, 2002, pp. 11-19.
- Louis Wirth, ‘Urbanism as a way of life’ in The City Reader ed. by Richard T. LeGates and Frederic Stout, 2007, pp. 90-98
- Gary Bridge and Sophie Watson, eds, The Blackwell City Reader, 2002.
- Richard T. LeGates and Frederic Stout, eds, The City Reader, 2007.
- Anthony D King (ed), Re-Presenting the City: Ethnicity, Capital and Culture in the 21st Century Metropolis, 1996.
- Desmond Harding, Writing the City: Urban Visions and Literary Modernism, 2002.
- Burton Pike, The Image of the City in Modern Literature, 1981.
- Mary Ann Caws (ed), City Images. Perspectives from Literature, Philosophy and Film, 1991.
- Maria Balshaw and Liam Kennedy, Urban space and representation, 2000.
- Sallie Westwood and John Williams, Imagining cities: scripts, signs, memory,1997.
- Sophie Watson and Katherine Gibson, Postmodern Cities and Spaces, 1995.
- Mary Ann Caws, ed, City Images: Perspectives from Literature, Philosophy, and Film, 1991.
- Anthony D. King, Spaces of global cultures: architecture, urbanism, identity, 2004.