All Seminars are held in the Gavin De Beer Lecture Theatre, Anatomy Building, Thursday 1-2pm
29 Jan 15: Daniel Gilmartin (Becker’s lab) Development of a wound healing scaffold that targets connexins / Tom Briston (Duchen lab) Identification and development of novel inhibitors of mitochondrial permeability transition
12 Feb: Ana Faro (Wilson lab)/ Irene Marta Almeida (Stern lab)
26 Feb: Prof Hannes E. Buelow, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NY.
5 March: András Szabó (Mayor lab) / Pedro Pereira (Henriques’ lab)
12 March: Jose Gomez (Jessen lab)/Sara Maffioletti (Tedesco lab)
26 March: Lizzie Yates (Patel lab) / Melissa Barber (Parnavelas lab)
9 April: Zeki lab –TBC/ Francis Carpenter (Caswell Barry lab)
23 April: Florent Peglion (Nate Guring lab)/Michele Sammut (Barrios lab, now in Poole lab)
Professor Fred Spoor
Fred Spoor is Professor of Evolutionary Anatomy in the Research Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, as well as the Department of Human Evolution of the Max Planck Institute of Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany. He is affiliated with the Koobi Fora Research Project, and a research associate of the National Museums of Kenya.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 4316 (Int: 34316)
My main research falls into
- Human palaeontology, evolution of skull morphology during the Plio-Pleistocene of Africa in particular, with an emphasis on functional and developmental aspects.
- Comparative and functional morphology of the mammalian inner ear, with a focus on the relationship between the organ of balance and locomotion of particular species.
For more details see my lab page.
My research is currently supported by the National Geographic Society, the National Science Foundation (U.S.A.), and private donations.
Biology, Utrecht University
1987 Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, University of Groningen.
1991 Lecturer, Dept of Human Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Liverpool
1993 PhD, Utrecht University
1994 Lecturer, Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, UCL
1998 Reader, Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, UCL
2002 Professor, Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, UCL
2010 Professor, Department of Human Evolution, Max Planck Institute of Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany.
- Spoor F, Leakey MG, Gathogo PN, Brown FH, Antón SC, McDougall I, Kiarie C, Manthi FK & Leakey LN (2007) Implications of new early Homo fossils from Ileret, east of Lake Turkana, Kenya. Nature 448: 688-691.
- Spoor, F., Garland, Th., Krovitz, G., Ryan, T.M., Silcox, M.T. and Walker, A. (2007) The Primate Semicircular Canal System and Locomotion. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 104: 10808-10812.
- Alemseged Z, Spoor F, Kimbel WH, Bobe R, Geraads D, Reed D & Wynn JG. (2006). A juvenile early hominin skeleton from Dikika, Ethiopia. Nature.443: 296-301.
- Spoor F, Bajpai S, Hussain ST, Kumar K., Thewissen JGM (2002) Vestibular evidence for the evolution of aquatic behaviour in early cetaceans. Nature 417: 163-166.
- Leakey, MG, F Spoor, FH Brown, PN Gathogo, C Kiarie, LN Leakey & I McDougall (2001) New hominin genus from eastern Africa shows diverse middle Pliocene lineages. Nature 410:433-440.
Awaiting server response...
Page last modified on 26 sep 14 12:50 by Edward D Whitfield