All Seminars are held in the Gavin De Beer Lecture Theatre, Anatomy Building, Thursday 1-2pm (unless otherwise stated)
Thursday June 2nd
Ingrid Lekk (Wilson Lab) Development of left-right asymmetries in the vertebrate brain
Claire Anderson (Stern Lab) A search for new organizers
Thursday June 16th
Pedro Henriques (Bianco Lab NPP)
Nun McHedlishvili (Baum Lab) Microtubule cytoskeleton remodeling during mitotic entry
Monday 20 June, 1.30-4.30pm PhD TALKS
Venue: Room 249, 2nd Floor, Medical Sciences Building, Gower Street
Final Year Students
Host: Michael Duchen
1.30pm Kate Turner
2.00pm Lizzie Yates
2.30pm Alan Greig
First Year Students
Host: Yoshiyuki Yamamoto
3.15pm Alex Henderson
3.30pm Bethan Wolfenden
3.45pm Alessandro Bossio
Final Year Student
Host: Michael Duchen
4.00pm Chris Penny
Hyung Chul (Stern Lab) Different combinations of signal inputs for specific cellular events to establish embryonic axis
Johanna Buchler (Salinas Lab)
Professor Fred Spoor
Fred Spoor is Professor of Evolutionary Anatomy in the Research Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, as well as the Department of Human Evolution of the Max Planck Institute of Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany. He is affiliated with the Koobi Fora Research Project, and a research associate of the National Museums of Kenya.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 4316 (Int: 34316)
My main research falls into
- Human palaeontology, evolution of skull morphology during the Plio-Pleistocene of Africa in particular, with an emphasis on functional and developmental aspects.
- Comparative and functional morphology of the mammalian inner ear, with a focus on the relationship between the organ of balance and locomotion of particular species.
For more details see my lab page.
My research is currently supported by the National Geographic Society, the National Science Foundation (U.S.A.), and private donations.
Biology, Utrecht University
1987 Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, University of Groningen.
1991 Lecturer, Dept of Human Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Liverpool
1993 PhD, Utrecht University
1994 Lecturer, Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, UCL
1998 Reader, Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, UCL
2002 Professor, Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, UCL
2010 Professor, Department of Human Evolution, Max Planck Institute of Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany.
- Spoor F, Leakey MG, Gathogo PN, Brown FH, Antón SC, McDougall I, Kiarie C, Manthi FK & Leakey LN (2007) Implications of new early Homo fossils from Ileret, east of Lake Turkana, Kenya. Nature 448: 688-691.
- Spoor, F., Garland, Th., Krovitz, G., Ryan, T.M., Silcox, M.T. and Walker, A. (2007) The Primate Semicircular Canal System and Locomotion. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 104: 10808-10812.
- Alemseged Z, Spoor F, Kimbel WH, Bobe R, Geraads D, Reed D & Wynn JG. (2006). A juvenile early hominin skeleton from Dikika, Ethiopia. Nature.443: 296-301.
- Spoor F, Bajpai S, Hussain ST, Kumar K., Thewissen JGM (2002) Vestibular evidence for the evolution of aquatic behaviour in early cetaceans. Nature 417: 163-166.
- Leakey, MG, F Spoor, FH Brown, PN Gathogo, C Kiarie, LN Leakey & I McDougall (2001) New hominin genus from eastern Africa shows diverse middle Pliocene lineages. Nature 410:433-440.
Awaiting server response...
Page last modified on 26 sep 14 12:50