All Seminars are held in the Gavin De Beer Lecture Theatre, Anatomy Building, Thursday 1-2pm
23 April: Florent Peglion (Nate Goehring lab)/Matia Gerli (Tedesco lab)
Friday 24 April 11:30am: Don Newgreen (Murdoch Children Research Institute,
Friday 24 April: Dr Sanjay Sinha, Anne McLaren
Laboratory for Regenerative Medicine, University of Cambridge
Dr Jeremy Cook
Jeremy Cook is a Principal Teaching Fellow, now working part-time but still closely involved with administration and teaching of the BSc and MSci in Neuroscience at UCL. He read Physiological Sciences at Oxford, and obtained his DPhil at the University Laboratory of Physiology there for studies of axon guidance in the visual system. After a brief interlude as a clinical student, he began his research and teaching career in the Department of Human Anatomy at Oxford and came to UCL in 1983, initially to continue investigating the role of activity-based synaptic mechanisms in setting up topographic brain maps. During the 1990s he became interested in the close relationship between neuronal diversity in the vertebrate retina and the regular ‘mosaic’ patterning of retinal neurons, a topic to which he has made several authoritative and well-cited contributions and in which he continues to play an active part as a journal reviewer. He is also the author of a CD-based learning resource for students and teachers of medical embryology, 'The Embryonic Disk', which is used in a majority of UK medical schools and by students world-wide.
1972 BA (Physiological Sciences, Class I), University of Oxford
1978 DPhil (Neural Specificity), University of Oxford
1979 BMBCh, University of Oxford
1979 Demonstrator, Department of Human Anatomy, University of Oxford
1980 Tutor in Medicine, Jesus College, Oxford
1983 Lecturer, Department of Anatomy & Developmental Biology, UCL
1997 Senior Lecturer, Department of Anatomy & Developmental Biology, UCL
2010 Principal Teaching Fellow, Department of Cell & Developmental Biology, UCL
- Becker, D.L., Webb, K.F., Thrasivoulou, C., Lin, C.-C., Nadershahi, R., Tsakiri, N. and Cook, J.E. (2007) Multiphoton imaging of chick retinal development in relation to gap junctional communication. J. Physiol., published online Oct 25, 2007; DOI: 10.1113/jphysiol.2007.138776
- Wang, C.M., Lincoln, J., Cook, J.E. and Becker D.L. (2007) Abnormal connexin expression underlies delayed wound healing in diabetic skin. Diabetes 56, 2809-2817.
- Görbe, A., Krenács, T., Cook, J.E. and Becker, D.L. (2007) Myoblast proliferation and syncytial fusion both depend on connexin43 function in transfected skeletal muscle primary cultures. Exp. Cell Res. 313, 1135-1148.
- Cook, J.E. (2003) Spatial regularity among retinal neurons. Chapter 29 in ‘The Visual Neurosciences’ (eds LM Chalupa & JS Werner), MIT Press
- Cook, J.E. & Chalupa, L.M. (2000) Retinal mosaics: new insights into an old concept. Trends in Neurosciences, 23: 26-34
- Shamim, K.M., Tóth, P., Becker, D.L. & Cook, J.E. (1999) Large retinal ganglion cells that form independent, regular mosaics in the bufonoid frogs Bufo marinus and Litoria moorei. Visual Neuroscience, 16: 861-879
- Shamim, K.M., Scalia, F., Tóth, P. & Cook, J.E. (1997) Large retinal ganglion cells that form independent, regular mosaics in the ranid frogs Rana esculenta and Rana pipiens. Visual Neuroscience, 14: 1109-1127
- Shamim, K.M., Tóth, P. & Cook, J.E. (1997) Large retinal ganglion cells in the pipid frog Xenopus laevis form independent, regular mosaics resembling those of teleost fishes. Visual Neuroscience, 14: 811-826
- Cook, J.E. (1996) Spatial properties of retinal mosaics: an empirical evaluation of some existing measures. Visual Neuroscience, 13: 15-30
- Cook, J.E. & Sharma, S.C. (1995) Large retinal ganglion cells in the channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus): three types with distinct dendritic stratification patterns form similar but independent mosaics. Journal of Comparative Neurology, 362: 331-349
- Cook, J.E., Becker, D.L. & Kapila, R. (1992) Independent mosaics of large inner- and outer-stratified ganglion cells in the goldfish retina. Journal of Comparative Neurology, 318: 355-366
- Cook, J.E. & Becker, D.L. (1991) Regular mosaics of large displaced and non-displaced ganglion cells in the retina of a cichlid fish. Journal of Comparative Neurology, 306: 668-684
Awaiting server response...
Page last modified on 26 sep 14 13:01 by Edward D Whitfield