Both weeks of the UCL Summer School are now FULLY BOOKED.
Week 1: Wednesday 12th to Friday 14th September OR
Week 2: Tuesday 18th to Thursday 20th September
Timings: 10.00am to 4.00pm each day
Graduate schemes and internships are offered by many larger employers looking
to recruit future talent and are seen as a fast-track route to career
progression. Competition for places can be intense and it is important to apply
as early as possible as recruiters often start selecting candidates long before
applications deadlines close.
The Summer School is a bespoke programme of activities for both returning students and UCL students completing their course in 2012*. It is designed to give you a real head start for schemes opening for applications in the Autumn of 2012 or for remaining places that recruiters are looking to fill for immediate start.
Programme activities include:
- an introduction to the UK graduate labour market, graduate schemes and what employers are looking for
- an opportunity to meet and hear from current graduate scheme employer staff
- an application ‘toolkit’ including workshops on CVs & applications, aptitude tests; interviews and other assessment centre techniques
- an insight into how to make the most of the careers service support available to you
The programme for each week of the Summer School is the same so you will only need to register for one or the other.
*Those who are completing their course in 2012, will need to be a member of our GradClub Scheme by the time the Summer School takes place. For more information, please visit our GradClub site.
- ‘‘I found out what employers are looking for and how they go about filtering candidates. It was also great to practice psychometric tests and group exercises/interviews.’’
- ‘‘The course was very informative and interesting. I learnt a lot and feel more prepared for applications now.’’
- ‘‘I really enjoyed the group work sessions - I was terrified by the thought of them but I know now they're not that bad so I will be a lot less nervous if I am lucky enough to be invited to an assessment centre.’’
Week 1 (12-14th September is now fully booked).
You MUST register in advance and pay a returnable £20 deposit if you wish to attend the Summer School. This enables us to monitor attendance levels and ensure that the event is more effective for those attending.
Payments can be made in cash at UCL Careers Service or sent by cheque, (made payable to UCL), if you're unable to pay in person.
Places are allocated
to those making the payment on a first come, first served basis and more
students register interest online than there are places available so
will remain on a reserve list after registering until we receive your deposit. We therefore
recommend early payment to avoid disappointment!
If you're using this for the first time, please read the My Careers Service Instructions carefully before trying to log in.
Both weeks of the Summer School are now fully booked.
Can I attend if I haven't booked?
Generally NO! The Summer Schools are popular and usually fully booked. If places are available on the day, they will be offered to those on the reserve list as above on a first come first served basis and then to those who haven't booked at all but we cannot guarantee entry.
Preparation for the Summer School is not essential but it will be helpful to look through the resources on we provide on topics such as Job Hunting, Networking, Applications, Interviews and Assessment Centres which can be found in the Help With... section of our website.
Using these in advance will give you a good overview of what will be covered in the interactive workshops of the Summer School and may help you prepare questions to bring with you.
For all Careers Service Events, please aim to arrive 5 minutes before the published start time. If you arrive late and the event has already started, the facilitator reserves the right to refuse entry so that you don't disrupt the event for other attendees who arrived on time.
Where relevant / possible, any materials relating to a particular part of the Summer School will be made available to download here after the event has taken place.
The Help With... section of our website also suggests a range of resources on all of the topics covered during the Summer School if you haven't used them already.
Having attended the Summer School, a wide range of other events will take place once the Autumn Term begins. These include:
For developing skills:
- Skills4Work - a series of employer led talks and workshops
- 1-1 Application Checking by Graduate recruiters
- 1-1 Practice Interviews by Graduate recruiters
- Group Mock Assessment Centres
or the Careers Consultant led Personality Profiling Workshop.
For networking and recruitment:
We also run a range of Careers Consultant led talks on a range of topics specifically for:
Our parent body, The Careers Group, University of London, also run a range of events throughout the year for all UoL students and GradClub members. See their Events Programme for more details.
Don't miss out!
To be notified about any relevant forthcoming events, please ensure your UCLAlert! settings are up to date.
Page last modified on 06 sep 12 11:58 by Martin Brown